I absolutely despised the Rock in 2002

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
I loved the Rock's Corporate champion gimmick. He was a heel you couldn't help but love to hate. He was the anthithesis to the Texas Rattlesnake, and the two clicked perfectly in the months leading up to their WMXV match. I loved his face post-Backlash 1999 face turn about as much, up until 2000. He was still likeable that year, but he started getting a bit too fixated with the rectal cavity for my taste. He started saying jokes only ten year olds would find remotely funny. But he was still overall solid, both on the mic and in the ring.

Then came 2001. The Rock's promo started to change, and started repeating himself, repeating himself, REPEATING...himself. He could still throw in a few good jokes here and there, but his spirit was gone. He was no longer the coolest cat in town, but just another WWF Superstar obsessed with getting / keeping the title belt.

Another thing I disliked was his booking at WM17. I loved his match against Austin, but he kept kicking out of the Stunners, chair shots, etc...He became Super Rock that night, something I found to be infuriating.

When he came back from being "suspended", I was thankful to see that he returned with a reinvigorated attitude. His mic skills were about as good as his 1999-2000 days. I heard some people saying that he was terrible in the ring, but I think he was still relatively solid. Then came his feud with Chris Jericho. The way he was booked made him look like a complete and total dick. He attacked Jericho simply for saying something he disagreed with. How he remained a face at the point is a miracle, but this was when fans started turning on the Rock. He also buried Jericho on the mic big time, saying that the latter didn't get the opportunities for the major titles because he didn't deserve it. The point that made me a Rock hater was when he won back the WCW title from YJ with a FREAKIN ROLLUP, after being on the walls of Jericho for nearly a minute! It was such a great match up until that point, and Rock had to ruin the whole darn thing.

In 2002, Rock became a parody of himself. He would accuse people of licking the anus of a llama...(Because that's TOTALLY something we all do, right?). He was making extremely bizarre sounds with his voice, which was in a higher pitch than usual. Not only were his promos redundant, repetitive and atrocious, but the way he delivered them also made them incredibly annoying. When he came back after Austin walked out, he delivered without a doubt the worst promo he's ever done in his life. "Austin can take his ball and go home, But as far as I'm concerned, this IS home". And of course "If there's anybody in the back that doesn't want to be in this company, then I swear to God, just like the slogan says: get the F out!"...SURE, how how much time was he given to focus on his movie career at that point? And two months, he was gone. He wasn't seen for another six months...He became the biggst hypocrite in the business, next only to Hogan. Taker should have done that promo, not Rock.

In 2003, Rock came back with the Hollywood Rock gimmick...Thank goodness for that character! This was by far the best work he's done since 1999. His voice was a stll a bit too high-pitched for my taste, but everything else about the character was gold.

He would make many returns in the past decade. They were fine, but none were any close to his 1999 and 2003 runs.

Anyone here share my feelings?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Well Rock is most known for his babyface work so I think you might be the minority here. 2002 Rock was alright. His promo against Austin was from the heart

Postman Dave

Reaction score
2003 Rock is pretty much peak Rock, so I'll agree with that.

The rest is just personal preference tbh. 12yo Dave had no beef with 2002 Rock, although it's a weird year to take beef with him on. I mean, he was on TV for what, barely half a year?

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Haha I knew I was in minority here. :p

Reaction score
You're hardly alone in your thoughts on 2002 Rock. It doesn't get talked much these days, but Rock was getting some really bad reactions in 2002. It wasn't Cena levels of hate, but it was certainly memorable. Most people dismissed fans booing Rock at Wrestlemania since he was facing Hogan in Hogan's first meaningful WWE match in a decade. It just meant fans were caught up nostalgia, right? Then Summerslam happened and the same thing happened with the heel Brock. That's harder to explain, but maybe the WWE had done such a great job at building Lesnar up that the fans couldn't help but like someone who kicked so much ass. But then, if those two examples weren't a big enough sign, the 10th Anniversary Raw special aired at the start of 2003, shortly before Rock returned to the WWE. The fans booed the Rock. He wasn't wrestling any one, so you can't say the fans preferred his opponent and their reaction would have been given to anyone that opposed their beloved wrestler. The fans on that night made it clear that they did not like the Rock.

That's the entire reason why Hollywood Rock even came about. Had the fans reacted favorably to the Rock on those three dates, there isn't any reason to believe that the WWE would turn Rock heel in 2003.

Was it the Rock's fault for the hate though? No. Okay, so some of it was because the Rock was working less and less dates with the WWE, but that wouldn't have been much of an issue had the Rock not kept winning titles. It's not as if the Rock had any control over McMahon wanting to put the Undisputed Title on him in mid 2002. The other problem is that Rock's character had changed. Part of what made The Rock such a lousy heel (Let's be real, Rock was never a good heel) is because he was so entertaining, that fans were eventually won over. It happened in 1998, it happened again in 1999 and we saw it once again in 2003 with Hollywood Rock. If you keep the Rock heel long enough, you will win the fans back over again, regardless of how much they disliked him (Early 1997 or 2002).

So what makes heel Rock so entertaining? He's edgier. Plain and simple. When he was stuck as a babyface for those core years of mid 1999-2002, he naturally lost the edge due to playing the role of a babyface. It's not Rock's fault though. He was booked in a different manner that was different from his heel personas. This happens all the time in wrestling. The WWE takes a popular heel and they turn him face, only to discover that the fans no longer likes them. What happens? They changed the character. The reasons why the character became popular in the first place no longer exists. We saw it with Diesel, John Cena and even recently with Reigns. It's part of why Steve Austin worked as such a good babyface in those main years of 1998-1999. It wasn't much of a departure from what he was doing as a heel in late 1996 and early 1997.

I do think having Rock cut that promo on Austin was a poor idea. However, again, that was not Rock's fault. Rock wasn't even scheduled to return to the WWE for another few weeks. McMahon brought him back early and had him cut that promo. It's pretty ironic that the OP believes Rock became Super Rock at Wrestlemania 17 when he lost the World Title on that night. Sure, it took a lot to beat him, but he still lost. Super Rock would have still found a way to win. Due to how often Rock lost, he never became Super Rock like Cena or Hogan once were.

Reactions: 1 person