Hogan's bringing friends... get ready...

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Rated R CMStar

Mick the guy who just did an elbow drop from the ramp through a table...? Yeah, what an old loser. The one who's main title match with Sting was a great match? Also I believe I said TNA World Title, not NWA, but whatever it doesn't matter. Btw, were you even watching when Raven won the title? Or seen the match where he won? He performed fucking amazingly. Clearly you just looked up at a list of NWA champs and declared anyone in their 40's as an "old champion" thus Hogan will certainly apply as well (even though he can barely walk, right?).

All of us seem to have different opinions of old too. I usually don't even bring up old unless the guy is legitimately crippled (e.g. Nash and Hogan). Could careless if they're in the early 40's or even 50's in Sting's case. The WWE has had many near 40 and champs in their 40's.

Mick Foley NEEDS to do these spots more than ever, as that's all he has left of his wrestling, so forgive me if I am not impressed. It doesnt erase the fact that they put the belt on him when there were far more deserving wrestlers. The same can be said about Sting. There has been no point in almost all of his title victories and in the one that actually made sense, he blew it with his horrible heel run.

The premise that Mick Foley/Sting could still decently go so we should not care they are old is bogus. They might not be totally cripple, but theres no point in keeping a guy on top just because of that when they have a whole roster of guys that could be main eventing and they can actually fully go.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
Mick Foley NEEDS to do these spots more than ever, as that's all he has left of his wrestling, so forgive me if I am not impressed. It doesnt erase the fact that they put the belt on him when there were far more deserving wrestlers. The same can be said about Sting. There has been no point in almost all of his title victories and in the one that actually made sense, he blew it with his horrible heel run.

The premise that Mick Foley/Sting could still decently go so we should not care they are old is bogus. They might not be totally cripple, but theres no point in keeping a guy on top just because of that when they have a whole roster of guys that could be main eventing and they can actually fully go.

The only problem with that is that you need a champion who can go AND who can draw. There's not many people in TNA who are capable of doing that. For reasons that you've stated in the past, because TNA has screwed up the pushes of guys like Samoa Joe, Hernandez and others. Yes I gotta agree with you at this point that Hernandez has definitely taken a back seat in his push and one win on PPV out of 5 matches throughout this feud they have the young guys in is just pathetic.

But TNA has been doing the best they can to sleep in the bed they've made. You can't expect them to put the title on a young "deserving" guy just for the sake of doing it. They need to build up the stars first, and they have admittedly failed to do that with anyone not named AJ Styles at this point.

So putting it on Mick Foley and Sting has worked. They aint dead yet, and their ratings are still steady and on the verge of increasing. Sting and Foley are guys with name recognition who can still go. That's relevant. But what TNA has failed to do is use these guys WHILE they have had the titles to feud with a young up and comer and put them over to create a new generation of stars.

My issue with your point is that you say that due to TNA's trends that it's a given that Hogan is gonna be given the belt. Although it's true it's basicaly 99% chance that Hogan is getting the belt within his first month, it's not because of past trends. It's because Hogans gonna be in charge.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I don't understand how Foley can still go. I've been pretty underwhelmed by everything I've seen from him so far. More or less all garbage matches. His one with Sting wasn't bad but it definitely wasn't Foley standards.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
Foley is one of those guys who really needs the right kind of opponent to light a fire under his ass and get a good match going. On average anything he does that's in a non hardcore environment is lackluster.

But that's been true since he first started wrestling. He never was a technical great or even a good wrestler. All our most memorable moments from Foley come from his street fights with Orton, his burning table spot with Edge at Wrestlemania, being thrown off the top of the Cell by The Undertaker, jumping off the steel cage onto Triple H, his I Quit match with The Rock, ect. ect. ect.

He's never truly had a good match that didn't have some form of stipulation involved in the first place. The only difference between his hardcore fights back then and his hardcore fights nowadays is that nowadays it lacks that big fight atmosphere. You don't feel nearly as pumped for Foley driving himself through a table because he's doing it to Stevie Richards instead of Stone Cold. lol.

The Rated R CMStar

My issue with your point is that you say that due to TNA's trends that it's a given that Hogan is gonna be given the belt. Although it's true it's basicaly 99% chance that Hogan is getting the belt within his first month, it's not because of past trends. It's because Hogans gonna be in charge.

Let's even ignore the past and the existance or not or trends. I am completely sure that should Hogan enter TNA without any booking power, they would still make him the champion.

Great One

Mick Foley NEEDS to do these spots more than ever, as that's all he has left of his wrestling, so forgive me if I am not impressed.
Clearly you never watched Foley back in the day because this is all he ever did like just explained.. The day he can't do these spots is the day you say he can't perform any longer (and I'm sure he'll think the same damn thing as he's said similar things on many occasions). You really think Foley needs the money or something?

It doesnt erase the fact that they put the belt on him when there were far more deserving wrestlers. The same can be said about Sting. There has been no point in almost all of his title victories and in the one that actually made sense, he blew it with his horrible heel run.
The point just explained was name recognition. And his latest put AJ over. Don't see how Foley's heel turn was horrible either, he was getting booed like hell vs. Sting.

That has nothing to do with a guy being old, which was your point. Now you're completely switching your argument into "they're never putting young guys over." I think the main event right now is perfectly fine: AJ, Daniels, Joe, and maybe Lashley? Angle/Wolfe on the lower-main event. The only one I would like to see with the first three would be Hernandez (he's been sorta screwed, but it's been said his backstage attitude has been pretty shitty), the rest have made progress and now they're trying them out and it seems to have most fans happy. Morgan is also insanely over and he was almost instantly pushed to the moon as soon as he started wrestling again (after his GM shit). Clearly since AJ is champ those 'old guys' must have done something right?

Reaction score
Absolutely...age is just a number. It's not a matter of being done once you cross 40... if that were the case we'd be writing Jericho and Edge off in a few short years. Most of WWE's main event scene is pushing or over 40. It's just a matter of..
a) Can they go?
b) Are they the right person to put the title on not going solely by seniority and reputation?
Very well said.

WWE's best workers are OLD. HBK and Taker are both well over 40. Trips just turned 40. Jericho is 39 and yet they have had soo soo many great matches the past 2-3 years. Shit, Taker is wrestling's fine wine, better with age!

TNA has dudes who were shot before they reached 35 with Nash, Stiener, and Foley. Foley retired @ like 36 his body was so shot. His match with Sting was pretty good, but not anywhere near as good as anything he did before he retired and not even half as good as the Beach Blast 92 match. Foley was done when he retired, and it pains me to really watch him wrestle these days, hardcore matches or not, it's borderline terrible. He shouldn't be wrestling, he should be in a non-wrestling role, but I feel he'd be a huge asset to TNA in the creative role. Too bad that's basically out the window now that Bischoff and Hogan are there to spread some plague.

Re: Hogan winning the TNA strap: If he wrestle's once, there's a 90% chance he'll wrestle again and will get the strap somewhere. Hogan coming to TNA really can't be a good thing, especially if Bisch is getting some creative control. It's hard pressing to think of anyone who's ego is bigger than Hogan's.

xtremebadass

maybe they can pull the old WCW set out of the trash and prop that shit up in the iMPACT! Zone and then they'll have something.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
Let's even ignore the past and the existance or not or trends. I am completely sure that should Hogan enter TNA without any booking power, they would still make him the champion.

You and I unaminously agree that Hogan is getting the strap. We just agree for different reasons. Even if your point was relevent that Hogan would still get the belt without booking power that's just grasping at straws as if you're still trying to make a point that differs from my own. Which is silly because we basically agree, and also we'll never know if you would be right since Hogan IS coming in with booking power.

So we pretty much are in agreement. You're just trying to make the reason why you agree is because TNA makes sucky decisions, rather than just the obvious reason which is that Hogan has booking power.

xtremebadass

Whoever think Hogan will not hold the TNA World title does not know Hogan that well.

The Rated R CMStar

You and I unaminously agree that Hogan is getting the strap. We just agree for different reasons. Even if your point was relevent that Hogan would still get the belt without booking power that's just grasping at straws as if you're still trying to make a point that differs from my own. Which is silly because we basically agree, and also we'll never know if you would be right since Hogan IS coming in with booking power.

So we pretty much are in agreement. You're just trying to make the reason why you agree is because TNA makes sucky decisions, rather than just the obvious reason which is that Hogan has booking power.

Yeah you're right, is almost disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing.

Clearly you never watched Foley back in the day because this is all he ever did like just explained.. The day he can't do these spots is the day you say he can't perform any longer (and I'm sure he'll think the same damn thing as he's said similar things on many occasions). You really think Foley needs the money or something?

It's different. The hardcore spots and bumps were his confort zone and were the thrived, but he could do the other things nicely. Now, those hardcore spots is everything he can do, and not even as well as before.

The point just explained was name recognition. And his latest put AJ over. Don't see how Foley's heel turn was horrible either, he was getting booed like hell vs. Sting.

I wasnt refering to Foley's heel run (altough that also was sketchy, going face to heel to face to heel almost per PPV), but to Sting's.

That has nothing to do with a guy being old, which was your point. Now you're completely switching your argument into "they're never putting young guys over." I think the main event right now is perfectly fine: AJ, Daniels, Joe, and maybe Lashley? Angle/Wolfe on the lower-main event. The only one I would like to see with the first three would be Hernandez (he's been sorta screwed, but it's been said his backstage attitude has been pretty shitty), the rest have made progress and now they're trying them out and it seems to have most fans happy. Morgan is also insanely over and he was almost instantly pushed to the moon as soon as he started wrestling again (after his GM shit). Clearly since AJ is champ those 'old guys' must have done something right?

It has everything to do with the argument. They are old, and in their case, they can't go as they did. Maybe in some cases aren't as extreme as Nash's or Steiner's, but it doesn't take away from the fact that they can't go anymore. I didn't even mention them not putting over young talent nor the current main event scene. I just said TNA likes to put the belt on this old guys who just cant go anymore when instead they could put it on young guys (like they are currently doing with AJ)

The fact that you mention that TNA gave the belt to the old guys because of name recognition just goes to add to the premise that Hogan will win the championship.

Oh, and with this:

Clearly since AJ is champ those 'old guys' must have done something right?

It has nothing to do with the topic, but the fact that not until 2009 AJ has been booked as the top dog and the face of TNA goes to show the effect of the old guys.

This Guy

sorry I don't think Sting put over AJ. Was it a good match, yes, but when AJ then leaves and tells Sting that its his spotlight, that is putting Sting over.

Just like when Hogan says he put over the Rock & WM18. Rock dragging Hogan back in the ring and standing back letting Hogan do the posing is not putting the Rock over.

Now I'm not arguing that the Live Crowd wasn't cheering for it, but there is more to putting someone over then laying down for them.

As for Hogan & the Title, I also agree that its only a matter of time. Listen to the interview he did with Live Audio Wrestling. He basically said that he's not sure how he would fix things if the changes he makes don't work, because the easist solution is for him to climb into the ring and win the belt. Because that will fix things right aways, but he is not sure after the recent tour in australia that he will be able to goto that. But its Hogan, you know he will.

Great One

It's different. The hardcore spots and bumps were his confort zone and were the thrived, but he could do the other things nicely. Now, those hardcore spots is everything he can do, and not even as well as before.
K this is just purely speculation now and nitpicking. We would have to go back and watch a match and compare and idc that much, old is subjective. Foley can still move, he can still go, I don't care if he can't go as much as he could when he was 20-30, he can move 10x more than Hogan, that's all that matters in this scenario.

I wasnt refering to Foley's heel run (altough that also was sketchy, going face to heel to face to heel almost per PPV), but to Sting's.
Oh you mean the MEM deal, yeah that was just TNA changing their plans for the angle half way through.

It has everything to do with the argument. They are old, and in their case, they can't go as they did. Maybe in some cases aren't as extreme as Nash's or Steiner's, but it doesn't take away from the fact that they can't go anymore. I didn't even mention them not putting over young talent nor the current main event scene. I just said TNA likes to put the belt on this old guys who just cant go anymore when instead they could put it on young guys (like they are currently doing with AJ)
That's not at all what your first quote implies. What if Rhino had the belt..? You'd still be complaining and he's not old. Jarrett wasn't old for the majority of the time he had the belt, Angle certainly wasn't (sure as fuck isn't now either). A whole roster that can "fully" go? Angle and Sting couldn't fully go? Ok.. thought I explained this. Your only argument was Foley, who had the belt for not even a month, regardless if our opinions on whether he could go or not differ.

The fact that you mention that TNA gave the belt to the old guys because of name recognition just goes to add to the premise that Hogan will win the championship.
Except for that he can barely even move thing (and pushing 60)...

It has nothing to do with the topic, but the fact that not until 2009 AJ has been booked as the top dog and the face of TNA goes to show the effect of the old guys.
Angle/Christian > AJ. They have less time to stay. And were better. And Christian was just as young (Christian was AJ's age NOW when he debuted and you tried to say 'they weren't young kids on the block').

Chuck Taylor's Grenade

maybe they can pull the old WCW set out of the trash and prop that shit up in the iMPACT! Zone and then they'll have something.

I wonder what the Nitro Girls are doing now. And maybe we can find DJ Ran while we're at it.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
I could imagine them bringing back the exact same Nitro Girls. Except now with them being 10 years older and all horse faced and shit. Some of them overweight and some of them looking anorexic due to drug use. lol. It would be hilarious.