Fuji's Top Ten Movies of 2013

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Well, with the new year now upon us, 2013's in the books and it's time to look at my top 10 films from the year. I watched quite a bit of stuff in 2013 and tbh, I found a lot of it pretty poor. That being said, there were certainly gems out there to be discovered, including the following HM's....

Nebraska, The Lone Ranger (seriously), Out Of The Furnace, I Declare War, The Spectacular Now and Blackfish.

Each of those has something really different to offer but they're all well worth checking out. Now, on to the real list and we start off with the only sequel (in a year FULL of them) that I felt was worthy of making an appearance...

10. Star Trek Into Darkness

The 2009 reboot of Star Trek totally ruled in bringing the old characters back to life for a new generation, and this sequel really amps things up in a great way. Not only are all the Enterprise crew more familiar with each other, the addition of the absolutely stellar Benedict Cumberbatch (who also has one of the best names ever) just makes things that much better.

9. Drinking Buddies

I first became aware of director Joe Swanberg through the film V/H/S, and while his segment wasn't one of my favourites you could certainly tell he had a style all his own. As it turns out, I didn't have to wait too long to see that style expand into something totally awesome, as Drinking Buddies is one of the best improvisational comedies I've seen in years.

8. Rush

Ron Howard's love letter to the glory days of Formula One racing is technically sound, expertly shot and wonderfully paced. However, all of that aside, the performances from Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Bruhl make this movie something quite special. The film takes hold of you from the opening moments and never let's go. Oh and you also get to see that Tyrell chick from Game of Thrones in her panties so yeah, 'nuff said!

7. Frankenstein's Army

I didn't really love any mainstream horror this year, but as a super fan of the genre I'm always seeking out those smaller films that surprise and delight. Frankenstein's Army is surely one of those; just a non-stop thrill ride that seeks to top it's gruesome self at every turn. Claustrophobic, atmospheric, downright nasty; all equal total FUCKING awesomeness!

6. The Act of Killing

Technically released in 2012 but only in one country, The Act of Killing has qualified for this years Academy Awards which is why I can include it here. For good reason too, there was no other documentary this year that provoked such intense feelings and thoughts as this, the examination of real life mass murder through Hollywood-style re-enactments. Absolutely chilling to the core and a film that will stick with you for quite some time after.

5. The Kings of Summer

One thing I love more than anything else is watching young up and comers work together to create something truly special. No greater example of that exists in 2013 than The Kings of Summer, which is simply a treat to watch. This film also features one of my favourite performances from 2013, that being the work of former Hannah Montana actor Moises Arias as Biaggio. You could watch the movie just for him, but everyone else rules as well.

4. Blue Jasmine

I've been a Woody Allen fan for as long as I can remember, but lately I'd felt he was losing a step or two. Obviously Allen realized I felt this way and decided to totally prove me wrong by writing one of his best scripts since Hannah and Her Sisters. Featuring a bevy of characters that are all imbued with Allen's trademark fundamental flaws, there's just not a bad moment here and at this point I think the screenplay has to be the front-runner for the Oscar.

3. Only God Forgives

Nicolas Winding Refn continues to solidify his spot as one of the best directors in the world today and while it's certainly not for everyone, Only God Forgives is nevertheless one of the best movies of the year. This surreal take on the revenge flick is at its best when pulling no punches, something it does a lot of throughout. It features the usual solid Ryan Gosling performance and an absolutely off the charts one from Kristin Scott Thomas, who should seriously be nominated for an Oscar.

2. Gravity

I debated where to place Gravity on this list but in watching it again I realized that its impact hasn't lessened in the translation from big to small screen. Sandra Bullock turns in a performance that should get her some serious Oscar consideration but the real star here is director Alfonso Cuaron. Not only is this the best paced film I saw all year, it is also one of the most technically brilliant achievements in recent memory. Gravity makes you feel like you're in space, feel like you're right beside Bullock and Clooney, and that alone puts it on a totally different level than even the great space movies like Star Wars or 2001: A Space Odyssey.

1. Escape from Tomorrow

When I first heard about Escape from Tomorrow I was immediately intrigued. After all, what kind of filmmaker would have the audacity to film an entire movie, guerilla-style, in Walt Disney World and Disneyland? Well, the answer to that is of course Randy Moore, who not only did so but then managed to do the near-impossible and get it released without Disney suing his ass off! That alone should be enough to check it out, but the truth is, the movie itself is just wild. A total and complete mindfuck on nearly every level with an ending straight out of your favourite nightmare, Escape from Tomorrow has quickly become one of my all-time faves.

So there you have it kids, the Fuji Top Ten for 2013. As always, agreeing or disagreeing is welcomed with comments and I wish you all a wonderful movie watching 2014!

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
I can't remember where I saw it but I read a bad review about Only God Forgives, will have to check it out if you liked it so much.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I can't remember where I saw it but I read a bad review about Only God Forgives, will have to check it out if you liked it so much.
Well, as I mentioned there, it definitely isn't for everyone. I saw reviews ranging from four stars to zero and it doesn't surprise me at all. The subject matter would just be too off-putting for some.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
I will have to go see Frankensteins Army. Looks pretty sweet. Still haven't seen Escape from tomorrow yet it is on my watch list. Haven't seen gravity either probably because its an Oscar favorite and I hate every film that is an Oscar favorite I just find them dull and boring, not saying that is how gravity is because I haven't seen it but I just don't know how exciting it is to watch two people tumble in space for 2 hours.

Destroying Sith with my Kindle Fire on Tapatalk

Jake Awesome

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I gotta check out Drinking Buddies and Escape from Tomorrow

Jimmy King

It’s Britney, bitch
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Sports Team
padres
Favorite Sports Team
Zjaonp3
Kings of Summer was really good, and I agree that Biaggio was an interesting character. I also liked Nick Offerman as the father of one of the boys in the film.

I'm interested in checking out Only God Forgives and Escape from Tomorrow.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Saw Kings Of Summer a couple of weeks back, and yeah it's definitely top notch. I put it at no.2 for the year personally. Biaggo was great but I honestly thought all three boys were excellent.

Also very much agreed on Star Trek, should be watching it again this weekend. I get the feeling I'd have liked Gravity more if I was a film student, but it's still an impressive piece of film making no doubt. Just not something I'd personally watch time and time again.

Of the others, haven't seen any but wanna see Drinking Buddies real bad and Rush looks great too. Will probably watch Only God Forgives when it appears on Netflix. The Act Of Killing & Escape From Tomorrow both sound insane

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Wow, nice to see so many people want to check out Escape from Tomorrow. Here's hoping y'all enjoy it as much as I have.

Wang Chung said:
Haven't seen gravity either probably because its an Oscar favorite and I hate every film that is an Oscar favorite I just find them dull and boring, not saying that is how gravity is because I haven't seen it but I just don't know how exciting it is to watch two people tumble in space for 2 hours.
Trust me, it's not boring. The pacing is superb and there's really no moments that drag considering it's basically set in real time.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Trust me, it's not boring. The pacing is superb and there's really no moments that drag considering it's basically set in real time.

That is the main issue I have had about seeing it. Not saying it couldnt be good I just can't see how they could make it interesting for that length if time.

I do have to agree on Star Trek being so high up in this list. It was a great film and added to the Kirk/Khan feud along with now knowing why Spock did what he did in Wrath of Khan. That scene with Kirk in the radiation area foreshadowed Wrath of Khan.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk