Fuji reviews The Funhouse

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
The Funhouse

Four teenagers are on a double-date and they travel to a local carnival. After spending most of the evening there, one of them suggests they stay the night in the fun house. They all agree and decide to take the last ride before the attraction shuts down, jumping off and hiding inside. While exploring the inside, they come across an office where one steals some money earned by the owner. Upon finding out, he sends his son after them with orders to kill. Now they're trapped in the fun house with a twisted maniac and no way out.

The Funhouse, released in 1981 at the apex of the slasher craze, marks the first big-budget production from Texas Chainsaw Massacre director Tobe Hooper. Oddly enough, it was originally designed to be a typical low-budget Hooper project but when Halloween and Friday the 13th proved to be extremely profitable, the decision was made to significantly increase the financing. Not a bad idea, though at the end of the day it didn’t really translate into the major success that those others achieved at the box office. What The Funhouse did manage to do was prove that Hooper was more than adept at crafting a smart and funky little horror film outside of his previous extreme low-budget style. Along with a nifty sense of set design and some tense moments, The Funhouse also nails it’s characters and develops them well, making us feel as though we know them to a certain extent. As we all know, that’s part and parcel of what makes a slasher great and while I wouldn’t say The Funhouse belongs in the same category as Halloween, it can certainly make a case for being one of the better slashers to come out during this time period.

"It doesn't seem so scary until you remember that clowns live there."

Directed by Tobe Hooper and written by Lawrence Block, the film would appear to be a simple slasher cash-in, although once you get past the first 10 minutes or so it definitely becomes something a little bit more intelligent. Hooper and cinematographer Andrew Laszlo shoot the film remarkably well, choosing a large colour palate to enhance the mood and make things feel a bit like a living comic book. Laszlo had just finished The Warriors and it’s clear to see that he was still being influenced by the vibrancy of that film. Mort Rabinowitz (Salem's Lot), Tom Coll (Caddyshack) and Jose Duarte combine their talent to create a set design that becomes a character in its own right and really helps to enhance the mood. Meanwhile, John Beal turns in an excellent, classical score that works really well in the context and certainly sounds better than the driving, synth-heavy stuff that was the norm back then. Finally, Rick Baker's excellent makeup effects contribute to one hell of a freaky looking villain, always a welcome bonus in a film like this. However, it's the screenplay by Block that's the real star here, doing an excellent job of creating very different characters that are almost always likeable. I'm actually amazed that he only ever wrote this film and the 1990 bomb Captain America, because it seems like he has quite a bit of talent.

"This probably isn't going to end well for at least two of these people."

Along with all of that good stuff from the technical side of things, The Funhouse also excels in the casting department as there is nary a bad performance to be found. The four main teenagers are all quite good and show a lot of chemistry between them, which I think is amazing given that none of them were accomplished actors prior to starring in this film. Cooper Huckabee (an absolutely awesome name) is a little subdued as Buzz, but he plays the character well and I only wish they’d used his real name instead because, again, it’s awesome. Elizabeth Berridge (Amadeus), Largo Woodruff (Stardust Memories) and Miles Chapin (Hair) also do a good job, with Chapin's douchebag character Richie being particularly fun. He also gets the best death scene in the film, but I won't spoil it for you since that wouldn't be cool at all. Outside of the teens, Kevin Conway and two-time Oscar nominee Sylvia Miles add a lot of colour as a carnival barker and a crazed fortune teller and their presence lends a lot of legitimacy to the film. Finally, I’d like to point out the performance of Shawn Carson as Berridge’s younger brother, Billy, since he plays a key part in getting us a shot of her boobs very early on. That’s right, I couldn’t care less about his acting, but this boob contribution cannot be ignored!

"Long legs and burgundy lips."

Not content with being your simple “stupid kids have sex before being killed†slasher film that was ultra-popular at the time, The Funhouse instead focuses on atmosphere and mood to tell its terrifying tale. This doesn’t surprise me that much given Hooper’s previous efforts, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Eaten Alive, were both mood-oriented pieces. However, what’s interesting about it is that, given the budget and time period, I’m amazed that he stuck with what had previously worked so well for him. I could imagine it would have been very easy for Hooper to try and imitate the success of Carpenter and Cunningham’s slasher archetypes, but at the end of the day he was confident in his own abilities and vision. This uncompromising approach to the film definitely works in its favour and again just gives it that little extra something that too many slashers of the time didn’t have. In all honesty, as much a fan of the genre as I am, I’m more than willing to admit how many slashers basically suck. It’s a very rare breed that can become something more than just mindless hack and slash entertainment and even fewer can claim any sort of importance in the overall scheme of film history. As I mentioned earlier, The Funhouse isn’t quite at that level, but it’s still a fantastic thrill ride with enough scares to satisfy horror hounds everywhere. If you dare yourself to enter, you just may find that you really don’t want to leave. 6.5/10.

"Coming up tomorrow....horrible bedside manner."

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Where do you find all of these wonderful films. I will have to find this one looks like its up ther with Killer Clowns from outerspace

Using the Force on tapatalk

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Where do you find all of these wonderful films. I will have to find this one looks like its up ther with Killer Clowns from outerspace

Using the Force on tapatalk
The cover used to scare me when I was a kid, so naturally I just had to rent it when I got old enough. Ever since then I've enjoyed it but to answer your question, I scour the internet for the weirdest stuff. You'd be surprised what you can find out there.