FOX attempting to reboot "The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen"

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Ah, The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen. That much-maligned 2003 superhero effort, spawned from Alan Moore and Kevin O’Neill’s graphic novels, that failed to generate much love either from fans, critics or – given its eventual $179 million global haul from a $78 million budget, not counting marketing – the box office bean counters. 20th Century Fox thinks there’s life in the property yet and is trying another movie.

Moore and O’Neil’s alt-history stories follow a group of literary characters – Alan Quatermain, Captain Nemo, Doctor Jekyll and Dracula’s Mina Harker among them – as they band together to fight off monstrous threats to the realm. It would seem to be fertile fodder for a movie, but that first attempt, which had Stephen Norrington directing a cast including Sean Connery and Jason Flemyng, just didn’t seem able to take full advantage of it.

According to Deadline, Fox has a producing team including Ira Napoliello, Matt Reilly and John Davis on board to start finding writers and directors who might be able to turn the concept into a functioning franchise, wiping the slate clean for a new attempt. And this follows the studio’s 2013 TV version, which never made it out of development. So if you had your choice of filmmaking team, whom would you entrust to make the League work this time?

Empire

Yes, the movie that pushed Sean Connery into retirement is being circled for a reboot!

Jake Awesome

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
But the LXG was born from it

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
I remember seeing this movie a long time ago, but I didn't really enjoy it at all. In 2003 I would say movie companies didn't know to make a great movie from a Comic Book or Superhero film just yet. At that time we had Blade and X-Men, so I guess they thought throw money at top stars, and the movie will make money. I think if with the right cast could be a awesome concept.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
In 2003 I would say movie companies didn't know to make a great movie from a Comic Book or Superhero film just yet.
Uh, just one year before, Spider-Man was the highest grossing film. Same for Batman in 1989. The main problem with League was that there was just way too much old man Connery and way too little establishment of the other characters and the world they inhabit.

As for a remake, I'm not sold on the idea. Moore's work is notoriously difficult to film (see Snyder's mostly failed attempt at doing so with Watchmen) and I think the concept may be too high brow as a whole.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
FOX attempting to reboot "The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen"

That's pretty much what they're saying.

Tbh Connery shat on his own legacy by starring in the original. These guys are just shitting on his shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
The only way I'll watch the reboot is if Conor McGregor has a role in it. C'mon wrestling fans, watch that guys interviews and tell me he's not acting material.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Why would they want to reboot it? Putting Sean Connery into retirement is a huge accomplishment. No need to ruin the legacy :lol:

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Why would they want to reboot it? Putting Sean Connery into retirement is a huge accomplishment. No need to ruin the legacy :lol:
Personally, I'm happy it worked out this way. Thanks to being Bond, Connery has become one of the most overrated actors ever. Don't believe me? Just go through his filmography and find me one non-Bond performance that was worthy of what a "great" actor should have to their name? Special credit will be given to anyone who can possibly justify why his paint-by-numbers role of Malone in The Untouchables, which won him an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor, is worthy of that honour?

Hell, he doesn't even give the best performance of the year as a character named Malone. :lol:

Jake Awesome

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Reynolds reference?

Jake Awesome

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
malo.jpg

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Damn straight.

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Re: FOX attempting to reboot "The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen"

Tbh Connery shat on his own legacy by starring in the original. These guys are just shitting on his shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True.

The original film forced Connery into retirement.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I don't know if I'd say it "forced" him into retirement, at the end of the day if he wanted to be in a movie he'd be in a movie. He's probably just content being retired and he certainly doesn't need money, so I can't see him having any motivation to act again.