Final Four #1

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Better World Champ?

• John Cena

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Steve Austin

Votes: 11 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I decided to take my vote to West Newbury.

As a big time fan of the Attitude era and of Austin... it pained me but shoot you have to go with facts and the fact is Cena is the better world champion overall. Austin had good reigns but Cena had his great reigns. Austin had his good matches but Cena had his great matches. Cena had solid reigns whereas Austin had those sporadic reigns. I mean Austin's longest reign as champion was from April to September. Other than that its been short reign after short reign. Yeah he helped define an era but it wasn't all as WWE champion. It was more as the guy either beating people up, chasing the champion or beating up the boss. Cena had solid reigns. Yeah he had his short reigns but his long reigns are what defined him. Those matches in those reigns is what defined him.

For Austin to win over Cena in this thing would be a farce. Cena IS the better world champion and he has the track record to prove it. Does Austin? No.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I am starting to think that most the people voting here are pratical jokers. No one over the age of about 13 thinks that Cena is a good worker or that he is anyway near Austin's level as champion.

EOR I think you will find that Micheals carried Cena not the other way around.

This should not even been close LOL.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Rock should be in the final 4. This is an easy vote-Austin.

Cena isn't actually that good, he has been shoved down our throats and driven many viewers away. All because Vince is so stubborn and once he decides somebody is going to be at the top, he won't back down. Austin was worthy of being there. Cena shows up every week and still gets booed, that's because the Rock is way more entertaining and genuine. Cena acts like some fine upstanding hero-citizen. But he says the best way to solve issues is to get in the ring and fight. I know it's wrestling and all the others involved are the same, but the others don't go on about make a wish and all that stuff. Having some soldier saint shoved down our throats at the top of the company is lame. Hopefully Rock destroys him at WM 28.

Cracking post! One of the best ever, sums it all up perfectly.

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
I am starting to think that most the people voting here are pratical jokers. No one over the age of about 13 thinks that Cena is a good worker or that he is anyway near Austin's level as champion.

Here we go, you're about to get mocked as a supermod and I'm gonna love doing this because I'm sick and tired of marks thinking they know shit when in reality, they talk utter bollocks.

Shall we start with why Shawn Michaels is the most overrated in history, let a lone one of the best? Let's begin with Shawn Michaels actually style of wrestling, same as Kurt Angle, Shawn Michaels has similar theories; "Okay, lets make this EPIC, you kick out three Sweet Chin Musics and I'll kick out of all your finishers..." or "Hey beat me down the entire match then I'll pop a Sweet Chin Music out of nowhere" those are HBK's two types of matches, particularly as a face... His chops as people like to call them are quite sloppy and very looping, the man's selling is really quite shocking 90% of the time, the whole overacting a sell and the man used to rely on the crimson mask FAR too much to get over a brutal beat down, albeit his heel work is better, much tighter punches but the fact he also introduced submission moves such a late point in his career, they aren't even buyable.

As for him carrying matches, where exactly has he carried a GOOD match? Never, the man lacks chemistry with various people, including Triple H - His match against Nash is passable but the whole Big Heel beating down on the Small Champion foluma was very passible with HBK. However, what people see as fantastic matches are jokes, his feuds with Bret Hart were nothing special, the two would stiff each other and sell so badly it was highly unprofessional and costly to matches and the storylines.

HBK had some luck as he usually protectively booked and placed against WWE's best workers, Jeff Jarrett, Razor Ramon, Vader & The Undertaker certainly save Shawn Michaels' ass on numerous occasions and surprisingly brought the VERY best out of HBK but asides from that, Shawn Michaels had numerous terrible matches as champion.

Then we come onto his time at the top, he was only top for what, Fourteen months at best and he never drew a dime, or very little at a push and he NEVER claimed it back; while people might be lost in the sense of the WWE hype machine, it's very clear Shawn Michaels was bad for their business to the point, they made Austin's push to the top rather quick - Two years, maybe a little less for Austin become the main man in WWE, Shawn Michaels was just second fiddle.

Continuing on the subject of why Shawn Michaels (and Kurt Angle) is overrated, he doesn't even scrap into the top fifty GOATS, let a lone the top ten, Misawa, Tsurusta, Flair, Hogan, Cena, Austin, Andre, Kobashi & Baba... That's all the top drawers who are top wrestlers, we haven't even gone into back up drawers and generally Top wrestlers, such as Kawada, Akiyama, Benoit, Mutoh, Vader, Bockwinkel, Georgeous George, Foley, Undertaker, Bryan Danielson, Samoa Joe... all have better stakes to being GOATs than Angle and Michaels a like, and haven't taken in tag teamers into consideration I'm sure the Freebirds & Stan Hansen would be in the top fifty atleast. I'm not even going to go into Luchadors and Many Joshis but the notion that HBK and Angle are better than Mamani Toyota, Aja Kong, mil mascaras & Dos Santos are laughable.

Gonna quickly touch on 2002 onwards Shawn Michaels, his matches with Triple H was goddamn awful from a wrestling point of view, entertaining and very dramatic but lack any real substance... 2003 and it was Jericho who saved the wrestlemania match with the two, Shawn Michaels didn't do anything too notable asides from 'putting over' Orton (when it reality it was Foley who solidified Orton), the Survivor Series match was carried by the Heel for most of the match and it had a dramatic finish but that's about it for Shawn Michaels work in the match, still sticking to his "beat down and i'll put shit out of ass" theory.

Shawn Michaels has continued to be shocking since then, Vince McMahon occasionally placing him in the title scene to be carried by Cena & Orton particularly... His match with Flair was all Flair showcase and not much Michaels then only other thing which has been noteworthy from HBK was his feud Jericho, Jericho carried that then he faced the Undertaker twice at Mania, both times it followed the theory of "kick out of EVERYTHING", the last ten minutes of Taker/ HBK I was over killed and second one will be known for the last minute of story telling which hadn't been used through out the first 22 minutes...

So yeah, try to explain your way out of that one Keith.

Ignorance is bliss when you're a WWE Hype Machine Mark.
---------------------------------------------------

Rock should be in the final 4. This is an easy vote-Austin.

I've already disproved the nonsense that Austin is an easy vote, let a lone he's a better champion than Cena.

Cena isn't actually that good, he has been shoved down our throats and driven many viewers away. All because Vince is so stubborn and once he decides somebody is going to be at the top, he won't back down. Austin was worthy of being there.

In fact, Austin was forced down everyone's throat, much like you claim Cena to be shoved down your throats, I'm quite sure everyone back then was getting pissed off with Austin just like people like you get pissed off with Cena. Cena is still the top draw in WWE for the simple reason people to see him win or lose, it's a fantastic selling point and he'll stay there till Vince is comfortable there's another guy who can draw as well as Cena, infact Cena EARNT his spot, we had awakard Triple H title runs for about two years after Austin left, leaving WWE scrambling for two top new draws and Cena & Batista both stood out above the rest and proved to be relible and super over, so Vince took the risk and it worked.

In fact, Austin was himself and by the sounds of it, Cena makes do with what he's given and clearly both guys was in the right place at the right time, so you bitching and making dumb comment doesn't mean a thing. Cena has earnt his spot and he's a fantastic worker and wrestler.

Cena shows up every week and still gets booed, that's because the Rock is way more entertaining and genuine. Cena acts like some fine upstanding hero-citizen. But he says the best way to solve issues is to get in the ring and fight. I know it's wrestling and all the others involved are the same, but the others don't go on about make a wish and all that stuff. Having some soldier saint shoved down our throats at the top of the company is lame. Hopefully Rock destroys him at WM 28.

Firstly, are you like 12? Presuming Rock is more entertaining is kinda funny because while he has charisma, he certainly lacks any substance in his actual promo ability, same tag lines, various insults but there's nothing really there for the Rock. His in-ring work was only amazing against the likes of Jericho, a fully fit Austin, Foley, Taker and Brock Lesnar - All great workers in themselves, thus far making Rock look good as WWE likes to do with people with great charisma but lack decent in-ring presence.

John Cena carried the match at Survivor Series, there was no doubt about that and Cena has carried matches since 2005, he's made Shawn Michaels, Umaga and Great Khali look good and even provided an entertaining clash with Bobby Lashley (I've said this in a earlier post but people need to learn to read)... So the nonsense you spew is quite laughable at best.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily

See man... this is the part of your argument where anything you say beyond that and anything even said before that loses all credibility. Any and all credibility is gone because you're basing an opinion of someone else not agreeing with yours on some type of magical age of verification to "understand what wrestling is" and if that is what it takes... then it is a sad state of affairs we are going to be in. Because what it becomes is... if you don't agree with me then you're not old enough to see what working a wrestling match is.

Austin's BEST matches... did not have the title anywhere near involved with it. His matches against Bret which are highly regarded weren't about the title... they were about respect. His first match with HBK at King of the Ring... which was a lot better than the Mania XIV match was not about the title. Can Austin work a match? Hell yeah. Can Cena work a match? Hell yeah. Cena isn't the favorite, he isn't the most flashy, not the most technically sound but he has offense, he has a workable style. Yeah some of his matches suck... but tell me one guy that has not had one sorry match in their entire career. Name me one.

To completely discredit people's opinions like that is absurd and proves that you don't have a factual leg to stand on since all you can do is base it off of some presumed age gap that you can't be "over 13"... thats a load of crap man.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
This would be pretty hilarious if Cena actually defeats Austin here. However, this is a champions competition so Cena takes it in that regard and that regard only.

Zen

Reaction score

The only practical joker here is you, if you think that you are going to be able to use petty ad hominems to support your unsubstantiated nonsense and expect other people on a discussion forum to take you and your views seriously. I have seen a lot of bizarre and outright disconcerting stuff here from a lot of posters that has simply made me shake my head -- but you are somewhat of an exception in that you expect to pull this kind of stuff while holding the position of a Super Moderator. Shocking and disappointing indeed :eyebrow:

Deuce

Reaction score
This is just sad, Cena is beating Austin. This shouldn't be happening, Austin kicked ass as champ, Cena isn't even near his level.

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
This is just sad, Cena is beating Austin. This shouldn't be happening, Austin kicked ass as champ, Cena isn't even near his level.

Care to explain more detail are you just a mindless mark for Austin and Attitude Era?

Deuce

Reaction score
Care to explain more detail are you just a mindless mark for Austin and Attitude Era?

In all honesty, I could care less for both of these guys but it's a known fact. Look at Austin's reigns compared to Cena's.... number of reigns compared to length and greatness of the reigns means nothing. Austin was the better champion hands down, no need for much explaining.

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
In all honesty, I could care less for both of these guys but it's a known fact. Look at Austin's reigns compared to Cena's.... number of reigns compared to length and greatness of the reigns means nothing. Austin was the better champion hands down, no need for much explaining.

Actually it is, Austin never had a 'GREAT' reign, his reigns were good and he was a fantastic career but he's really lost without the Attitude Era all that ties in with him... Cena's 2006 to 2007 reign was possibly the greatest reign of American history in terms of quality of the matches within and the Cena character, I think only Flair or Misawa from Japan could question his reign in 07...

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Cena wins HHH takes it all Austin wins and it's up for grabs.

Gotcha b*tch

Reaction score

[video=youtube;om7O0MFkmpw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw[/video]

The Hoov

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
goldust
I love how people criticize me or call me a mark just because of my opinion. I just don't see Cena's appeal anymore. I mean, when he was US champion and doing the whole Thuganomics schtick he was cool but the with him doing the same old played-out routine since 2006 does not make him a better champion. Austin's character has transcended the eras and still works today. You mean to tell me Cena's act would fly in 1997? There is no way. Austin, on the other hand, could've been huge in ANY era, this current one included. Austin is the biggest star wrestling has ever had. Look at the merch sales. Look at the attendance records. Look at the RAW ratings. Cena pulls 3's if he's lucky. Austin used to pull 6's and 7's and the occasional 8. Sure, Austin had good supporting characters like Foley, Rock, and HHH but Cena's always had HHH, HBK, and Orton so that's no excuse to make that he cant do it on his own.

Oh, and EOR, thanks for the negative rep. Looks like someone is still butthurt about CWF ;)

Reactions: 1 person