End of their Rope

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
For the most part I think I share your perspective when looking at things broadly and I totally see where you're coming from with each selection. I even like how you tied them all together as people who likely don't have much more to offer than what they already have.

But I also have to disagree on Orton, Big Show and The Miz (barely). Getting rid of them in the name of opening doors for others seems a bit extreme and I think you've overlooked or distorted some facts to make your point.

As Dale said, Orton isn't so much the irresponsible kid he once was and his alleged apathy should only be worrying if it starts to translate on screen. Sure, it did recently when he ruined that promo, but apart from that I can't remember the last time I actually heard of Randy involved in anything controversial except for the Kennedy thing. Other than that, I think Orton is redeemed by the fact that he's still good in the ring, has loud fans in arenas and could be inserted anywhere on the card at a whim. There are other ways of getting a young guy over than flat out removing those in his way.

Big Show is still legit as far as I'm concerned. He's the kind of guy who can spend a year putting over smaller guys but still maintain such a dominating, intimidating presence. He wasn't given anything really special to work with in 2012 and I'm pretty sure he's done the exact same heel turn at least twice before, but some say he's been on the run of his career. Fuck, if you can pull any kind of intrigue out of an angle with Sheamus then you know you've done something right. I'd also disagree on Kane, since I haven't taken him seriously in years, even when he was WHC, but it's pretty hard to ever question the credibility of a literal giant among men like Big Show.

I still have faith in The Miz. Admittedly that's been pretty hard lately as his face run that no one asked for has turned out as you'd expect. But I like to think he's equally been dealt a shitty hand. After letting Miz rot in the mid cards for at least a year after the hottest run of his career, creative decided to turn him into a babyface for no given reason and it became more and more obvious that there was no real planning or strategy behind this. They stuck him on the face teams in tag matches and even had Ric Flair bestow his iconic finisher down to him, it's all so cynical and the audience see's right through it. Even if Miz's mic skills had adapted to the role, there was no chance of him being a compelling babyface. They've stripped him of everything that worked and now nobody knows what to do with him. For someone who really seemed to fight and work throughout his career to be where he is, releasing him now would be quite a sad end.

Another thing all the names you've listed have in common (except Drew and Tensai) is that they can all be considered veterans in the WWE locker room. In an age with so many young stars on the horizon, having people around who know what it takes to get by, who have name value and, more importantly, are willing to put younger talent is quite valuable. If we can consider the already established superstars as tools, or as a means to get younger talent some exposure rather than obstacles blocking their sun, that may be conducive to a more vibrant roster.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Christian. He's still solid in the ring but he hasn't struck me as "charismatic" since 2005 and I don't know how people still see so much in him.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
themiz
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
paulheyman
I find it funny that I've waited for the better part of a year for a Miz face-turn, and well, let's just say I thought he was one of those guys who
could be a face and NOT be totally bland. It was a real let down.

As far as RetireMe Sterio goes, he's Ric Flair with a Mexican accent. He shouldn't have even stayed as long as he has.

I love Drew's ringwork. The guy could be the new HBK or at least a Bret Hart if they gave him the push he needed a long time ago. What they
need to do with him is have him leave for a bit and come back with the "fire relit" kind of plotline.

The Big Show...now way...Keep him at least until the new giant comes along. By giant, I mean, a decent one. Go away, Khali.

Good ol' Orton. The WWE's mediocre predator has been on such a downslide that I don't think he'll ever get back up again unless he goes to another
company, gets a massive push, then comes back. And it's all for good reasons, too. He could be gone tomorrow and I wouldn't even care.

I get the feeling that I'm forgetting something...Oh well, I'm sure it's nothing important.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Mysterio and Drew are the two I really agree with you on. One is past his best, never around enough to make that much of a difference, and can offer more in non-wrestling roles, whereas the other has just never got started and never saw much there anyway.

Tensai and Miz it is far too soon to pull the plug on.

Orton and Show I disagree on, Randy still has plenty to offer and remains a draw, and Show when booked correctly still has a part to play with putting younger talent over.

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
Big Show should go away for a few years. Take some time off, do some movies or a tv show, then come back for a retirement run.

Rey Mysterio? Overstayed his welcome by about 6 years. Retire him already.

My "Overstayed" list:
Great Khali
Hornswoggle
Teddy Long
Kofi Kingston: Hey!! I get a free US title reign for doing absolutely nothing!! Living up to his moniker of "This Generation's Koko B. Ware"

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Big Show should go away for a few years. Take some time off, do some movies or a tv show, then come back for a retirement run.

Rey Mysterio? Overstayed his welcome by about 6 years. Retire him already.

My "Overstayed" list:
Great Khali
Hornswoggle
Teddy Long
Kofi Kingston: Hey!! I get a free US title reign for doing absolutely nothing!! Living up to his moniker of "This Generation's Koko B. Ware"

Thats not fair, it was only a couple of years ago he had that very good feud with Punk and certainly has not be on borrowed time that long.

Khali and Hornswoggle I agree with.

Why Long? I don't think managers have the same kind of shelf life as performers.

While I don't agree, your Koko B. Ware remark was funny!

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I'm not gonna comment on most of them because a couple of the acts are just stale and may just need tweaking. However, I am a huge Drew McIntyre fan and I just wish WWE wouldn't have fucked up his entire career. I wouldn't mind seeing him try to revive himself in TNA but I think even at this point he'd be overlooked there.

Now, Big Show has been awesome lately as most have said. I just want to say his matches with Sheamus directly are exactly why I think he should stick around. I could watch those two beat the shit out of each other every single day of the year. I'd even give them feud of the year over Punk/Bryan last year. Yeah, I said it.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
How was it WWE's fault that Drew McIntyre married a heat magnet, who took him down with her in her heat spiral of domestic distubance charges and bad publicity? They can't hold your hand and tell you that this was a bad idea and it will affect your standing in the company, some shit just needs forethought.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I blame WWE more for them sending him to Raw when he was hot on SD! just so he could get lost in the midcard shuffle. That probably ties into what you are saying but I'm pretty sure if WWE kept running with Drew at that point in time they could have made a pretty penny.