Early Plans of John Cena and CM punk for summerslam revealed

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
So when Daniel Bryan says "Will I be the next WWE Champion? YES! YES! YES!" That means he doesn't want to be champion?

Same with Jericho, up until after 'Mania when they started doing the drug things, Jericho said that whoever had the title could really be called the best in the world, so he'd have to beat Punk for the title to prove it.
They made it about drugs long before Mania. They dropped best in the world after a week or two and made it all about drugs at Mania and the next ppv as they realized people weren't even watching. They threw shit at the fan out the blue because it got lost on Raw leading to Mania.

I mean Bryan said that recently, but the past two months or so has been all AJ. If you read the spoilers you will see what I mean. even the announcers are focusing on AJ. AJ somehow has overtaken the focus and it isn't even 50/50.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Jericho may not be remembered like HBK, HHH, or Cena (who Jericho put over huge with a PPV victory in 2002), but he sure as hell will be remembered better than Batista.
Dave has more big wins. He was the bigger star. He won against better opponents. He was the focal point. He had lengthy reigns, the dvds, the merch, the bigger fanfare. He main evented Manias and ppv after ppv, which Jericho could never dream of as a face. He broke a record for his contract signing that still stands on Spike for viewership when he chose Trips. Dave and Jericho ain't even in the same dimension of star power or history books. Hell he was the more legit heel

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
They made it about drugs long before Mania. They dropped best in the world after a week or two and made it all about drugs at Mania and the next ppv as they realized people weren't even watching. They threw shit at the fan out the blue because it got lost on Raw leading to Mania.

I mean Bryan said that recently, but the past two months or so has been all AJ. If you read the spoilers you will see what I mean. even the announcers are focusing on AJ. AJ somehow has overtaken the focus and it isn't even 50/50.

Bryan still makes almost all his promos about him winning the title. I'm not disagreeing that the angles haven't been about the title, but the opponents have definitely said that they wanted it, barring Kane and Jericho in the later half of that feud.

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
First Undisputed champion of all time. Case closed.

Nothing Dave did will ever beat Jericho's accomplishments. Fuck the wins, NO ONE CARES. It's storyline decisions on who wins. Having management so high on you to make you the first Undisputed Champion? Now that means somethings. Batista was around in a weak time. He only had Edge, Triple H, Cena, and Undertaker really to feed off of. Which is why he is viewed highly. He would have never been able to get over in Jericho's time.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Fair point Dejay. They just need to focus less on stuff that should be secondary IMO

First Undisputed champion of all time. Case closed.

Nothing Dave did will ever beat Jericho's accomplishments. Fuck the wins, NO ONE CARES. It's storyline decisions on who wins. Having management so high on you to make you the first Undisputed Champion? Now that means somethings. Batista was around in a weak time. He only had Edge, Triple H, Cena, and Undertaker really to feed off of. Which is why he is viewed highly. He would have never been able to get over in Jericho's time.
Only because HHH ended up being medically cleared weeks later when he was originally thought to be comeing back before the invasion ended. Jerichos reign was about Rock being told he was better than him by the locker room, Austin being told the same, Trips being told the same, the nWo, and Steph. He was the biggest joke champ of his era back then.

Batista was around in such a weak time that He surpassed Jericho, Christian, Edge, Randy, and every guy that was ahead of him out the blue not named Cena. He would have easily gotten over because he got over in tv 14 wrestling on Raw with the likes of HHH, Booker, RVD, Flair, Jericho, Orton, Show, Kane, Goldberg, Steiner, Nash, and others. He rose to the top, got the highest rating in their whole time on Spike and TNN which includes Rock and Austin, when making his decision for WM21. He went to SD on a dying netowrk and still drew numbers that tops what they get now and what Jericho got. He moved more merch. He sold more tickets. He has had more big matches and like I said, can you even say Jericho can headline a Mania as a face? Ask any casual and you can see he clearly is favored and thought of more highly.

Last edited:

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
There's too much damn reading in this thread for me to comment on anything substantial, but as for the Jericho/Batista argument... Admittedly more people will remember Dave, but I don't think that really means anything in of itself. Its about what you remember. Batista I suppose was the bigger star and had more high profile matches then Jericho perhaps ever did, but most people generally remember Batista as a rather stale act who never really found his niche at the end of his career.

Chris Jericho will be remembered more fondly than Batista because of his longevity/staying power and for overall being a better performer.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
By the iwc, sure. By SD brand fans, people who watched WrestleMania, or remember Evolution or Eddies last days in the company not so much IMO. I wouldn't say Dave never found his niche as much as he admittedly has said in a shoot, they told him he didn't need to change much if anything when he was drafted in 05, and wasn't allowed to be that Polo Pimp until time his deal was winding down. He was the one and only true 1A/B to Cena of the generationnimo which was big as they both came up the same night are intertwined thanks to wm21

Let's just get back to talking aout Cena v Punk .....

How good do you think the match will be everyone? As good, better, or worse than last year?

Last edited by a moderator:

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
With the roll Punk has been in ring wise since holding the belt I think the match can def be better. Will help that there will probably be no HHH involved this time. Nothing against him but I think he should have stayed out of that SS build and match. Mostly curious on the feud itself though as they can make it just of a big deal and as intense as last year. As brought up Punk got a lot of ammo he can use again against Cena and vice versa.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Better then the Summerslam match but not even close to the Money In The Bank match.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I agree also. MITB was a rare night that Cena proved he could go in the ring, it was a fantastic match, with great drama and heat. Summerslam 11 was never going to live up to it, but it was still good. I just think returning to it now is a mistake.

Excellent posting Dale, I don't always agree with your thoughts, but you have been pretty much spot on in this thread!

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
And Jerocho will never be remembered like HBk, HHH, Cena, Dave in history for total impact. And beating any of them will always mean much more for a career. It's called common sense on their part to not waste a L needlessly, it's stupid to waste them like Jericho did after they made him undisputed champ, and it is why he will never be the focus of the company. I mean what has beating him ever did for JTG, Kofi, and countless others and has it truly been monumental? A guy doesn't even get the wow response Shelton or Jeff had when they pinned Trips and it's a shame going over Jericho means nothin

No.

Everybody has already forgot about Batista.

Jericho has had a HOF career and is far above his league.

Mr.Mayhem

Reaction score
For me Jericho will always be remebered as a guy who loved Pro.wrestling and not some egomanic who wouldn't even sell moves of Smaller wrestlers . He is one the best . Probably in top 10 . Yeah as you said he wont be rememberd as Cena or HBK or HHH or batista is beacause Jericho doesnot have an ego like HHH or batista . He loves Business more than those 4 combined . He've stated several times , the reason he came was to elevate punk . Some thing i agree with you is he must've never lost to guys like JtG , it has hurt his credibilty . but for me it doesnot matter .I respect the hell out of this guy and will always support him .

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
For me Jericho will always be remebered as a guy who loved Pro.wrestling and not some egomanic who wouldn't even sell moves of Smaller wrestlers . He is one the best . Probably in top 10 . Yeah as you said he wont be rememberd as Cena or HBK or HHH or batista is beacause Jericho doesnot have an ego like HHH or batista . He loves Business more than those 4 combined . He've stated several times , the reason he came was to elevate punk . Some thing i agree with you is he must've never lost to guys like JtG , it has hurt his credibilty . but for me it doesnot matter .I respect the hell out of this guy and will always support him .

Chris Jericho can lose to whoever he wants to, does anyone actually realize that he has say on whether or not he would put someone over?

Jericho is still relatively a nobody outside of wrestling circles, but he is a trrendsetter imo, the guy successfully transformed himself and was having the best run of his career. HHH has been doing the same scthick since 99, HBK was the perverbial beaten dead horse, almost every top performer from the past 20 years hasn't been able to transform their character like Jericho did outside of Hollywood Hogan.

Plus, he doesn't have any shame, and gets a kick out of people taking his won/loss record serious.

It is, just still pro-wrestling.