CM Punk Yet to Sign New Contract

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
pwinsider said:
As we initially reported last night in the PWInsider.com Elite section, former WWE World champion CM Punk has not signed a new WWE deal and there's been a lot of talk that Punk is looking to exit the company when his deal expires in a few months.

Internally, that possibility has been discussed for some time but during the European tour, discussion of Punk's exit came more and more to the forefront.

According to WWE sources, Punk has been offered a new long-term deal but has balked at signing, citing burnout with being on the road for years and unhappiness with his position in the company over the last year.

As one source pointed out, Punk has been something of an "Iron Man" for the company, working full-time on the road with the exception of his hip injury needing to be rehabbed last year. At the same time, despite delivering with whatever was handed to him creatively, Punk has watched as other talents developed since he debuted ended up pushed as bigger names and treated as more important than Punk, including Miz and Alberto Del Rio.

"When you look at how the company brands it's characters, Punk is never among the top 5-8 names that are promoted or pushed," said the WWE office source. "It's Cena, Orton, Miz, Undertaker, Rey, now Alberto, etc. these days and Punk is sort of floating right under there. He didn't fit into the youth drive a few months back but he's not treated like a top veteran either. He's just there, doing his job and while everyone knows he delivers, he's never really treated like someone who does. He's never dropped the ball but we don't give it to him really, either. He's treated like a guy, but not THE guy. For a driven guy like him who's made wrestling his entire world, it's got to drive him crazy. Now, the excuse will be don't push Punk because he might be leaving, but the reality is the environment and situation is what is probably making him want to leave to begin with. Either it gets fixed or it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, just like it did when Batista walked out."
As is the norm with such situations, a new deal could be struck at any point, but as more and more sources discuss Punk leaving the company as a distinct possibility, time will tell. We'll have more when we get it.

Where will Punk go if he doesn't re-sign? He isn't going to get the exposure and money on offer from WWE at any other company. He is still young and he hasn't been a top guy in WWE for many years so it is different to Batista who had been on top for many years and would have saved many millions.

I hope, and expect, that Punk re-signs with WWE since there are so many feud options for him and there is so much more he can do in the company. There are more top guys that will leave in the next twelve months and WWE really needs someone like Punk who always performs and can play top heel or top face.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
This would be a complete disaster if Punk were too leave. I do agree he has been treated poorly, the guy had an awful 2010. If he doesn't win Sunday, creative once again can go you know where. Punk delivers all the time and is well liked around the locker room. It would be so sad to see him leave especially with Edge already gone. If Punk were too leave, I expect Jericho to step up even more.

Purple PuNk

Reaction score
I believe comparing Punk to Batista is fitting. Yeah Batista was able to do more for a variety of reasons, but Punk has made WWE fresh and entertaining. Every situation they put him in has been nothing short of money. The fact that WWE has mistreated Punk is nothing short of disappointing. The dude seems to be jumping through hoops every year.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I'm taking this story with a grain of salt, although nhe may be burned out, he is on his way to entering his real money making years and to take off before that would be a terrible financial decision. Also from what the story says about his backstage duties, it seems like he is poised to take over Takers position in the locker room. Not buying this story.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I expect him to re-sign and the reason for the delay is probably Punk trying to get a deal money wise and dates wise. Like I said before there is nowhere else to go. Plus he has reached this top level in WWE and he would be crazy to walk away from that.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I can't blame him if he does walk, when you produce the sort of work he has consistency for a number of years, and work so hard then the Punk deserves more than he has gotten recently.

It kind of reminds me a bit of what happened with Kurt Angle in WWF/WWE, you have maybe the best all rounder in the whole company who Vince and Co. can always relie on, and though hard work he has gained a regular slot as one of the top guys, but for whatever reason is often passed over less deserving guys. Now if he sticks at it, he may come though and be a top guy for years, but at the same time I can understand why he is having doubts. Ultimately I think he will resign, but would not be shocked if he did quit.

Guano

Reaction score
WWE has been treating CM Punk fairly bad lately, because CM Punk has been phenomenal with the feuds hes been involved with and has preformed perfectly and has yet to be given any reward for his tremendous efforts. CM Punk leaving would definitely hurt WWE a little, because hes one of the top stars in WWE and loosing him to another wrestling promotion or going on hiatus would hurt. CM Punk probably should have been moved to Smackdown, because Smackdown has a few tapings and would at least give CM Punk sometime to rest. However, WWE has moved Beth Phoenix to Raw, so perhaps thats to try and keep CM Punk a little more happier, because they are going out. So, who really knows whats going to happen, but I really hope that CM Punk re-signs.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
I think they could give him a couple months off if necessary playing up an injury angle. This could be a ploy though or just bad info to make him more respected by officials.

Lucky

Reaction score
At most, Punk will take months off and them come back ala Jericho.

There's no way he leaves to go to TNA for less money and the stupidity that goes along with that franchise.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Punk looked injured, or was doing a fantastic sell job, near the end of his match at Extreme Rules against Orton so they could write him out for a couple of months now to heal up.

Lucky

Reaction score
You're right, he did look injured. That being said, I don't see him being held out for any period of time.

Lucky

Reaction score
Whatever keeps him in WWE I'm happy about, they just need to give him some type of push is all.

Arguing over the actual rights to the name is stupid, as you can see he's been using the name forever. For WWE to even demand that an agreement be had that he gives them rights to it is pretty absurd.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
CM Punk is his own intellectual property, you definitely have to fight to keep it.

Other than that, I hope they can come to an agreement and Punk can still be what he is.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I can't see him giving them that name, he might lease it to them so they can use it for some licensing but there is no way he will let them have it. Imagine if they get the name and then fire him next year and he has to come up with a new name for the indy circuit or in TNA or ROH. That would be crazy.

He will sign another contract as WWE really need him now. They can't afford to lose a guy as good and as over as Punk.