Cena Going Heel Is In Serious Talks

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
The possibility of turning John Cena has been discussed much more seriously than in the past, according to the Pro Wrestling Torch.

Vince McMahon made it clear when the idea was previously broached that it would not even be considered due to the tremendous amount of revenue Cena draws via merchandise. While there doesn't appear to be any firm plan in place, McMahon has since changed his tune on the subject as he is now open to listening to suggestions.

Meanwhile, this week's issue of Figure Four Weekly adds that there is 'strong talk' of a turning Cena heel come WrestleMania season.

If WWE turned Cena heel, then I think anything is possible. This would be such a crazy move and I think it would work out really well. What are your thoughts?

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Like Scott said this rumor comes up so often, it has been rumoured for around three years now so until he actually turns heel I will believe it.

I do think that it is time for him to turn heel as it would freshen up his character and RAW. The worry about merchandise sales is warranted but this turn could possibly counter-act that. Firstly if his heel character is "cool" enough then it will sell huge. Look at Hulk Hogan when he turned heel, he was the biggest face yet when he turned heel it created the biggest group in the history of wrestling which sold tons of merchandise. Plus they can build up a face character to go against Cena and that person could become the next big breakout star and the next fan favourite who sells tons of merchandise.

In the end they need to take a chance eventually.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Cena should be heel in my eyes there is no questioning that. His face character is bland and bores me now and I think a heel turn would really draw some support for Cena.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
This is the only way for them to go with him.

Chris Dresdon

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The constant argument against turning him heel is that it will hurt merchandise sales. My response to that is two things, they've had stars in the past that sold just as much merchandise, if not more, than Cena and they turned them heel anyway because in the long run it was better for business because it freshened up the product and made them more money. Plus I see him selling just as much merchandise if not more, depends on if he's a "love to hate him heel" or not. But the people that have been so critical of him may find themselves supporting him here shortly in my opinion, at least I hope so.

If they don't do it Sunday or at Wrestlemania like has been discussed, I honestly have no hope they'll ever do it.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
If they don't do it Sunday or at Wrestlemania like has been discussed, I honestly have no hope they'll ever do it.

It just came to me after I read this. WWE can kill two birds with one stone.

Have Cena lose to Wade Barrett at HIAC and make him join Nexus. Have him play the reluctant member at first then have him go all out heel by attacking some faces. Then you will have Cena heel and he will be part of Nexus wearing their merchandise. That will help WWE sell more Nexus merchandise which has been a slow seller so far. This idea will work so well and will help off set the loss in sales to kids who buy lots of his gear.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
This is one of the things mentioned in Jericho's DVD. Well not particularly about Cena but about Jericho himself. It's about evolving with the product to keep yourself fresh and relevant in the game. Which means you have to change yourself sometimes. Which could mean that you'll need to change your character up... or even go heel. Get the fans to hate you. Get the fans to love to hate you. Or just be one of those cool heels... but sometimes a character needs a new direction that way they won't be seen as the same exact character for years on out.

I mean how did Undertaker stay relevant for so long? He changed. He evolved the gimmick. I mean really how long is a gimmick of a "deadman" in a time where the federation was really gimmick heavy supposed to last? He changed him to the purple gloves, to the guy that wore a lot of black but talked quite a bit. Getting him a bit darker to the Ministry of Darkness which was the darkest of times. Then from there to a Bike Rider, Deadman Inc. then back to the deadman that seems to move a bit quicker than the original days and has more of a moveset.

Which is another thing that can benefit a Cena heel turn... more moves. He won't have to stick with the movelist that consists of 5 moves and a dropkick. But can then do a lot more... or even those same moves can have more of an impact. Look at Rock when he turned heel. The People's Elbow became the Corporate Elbow. I mean something that simple can really help out in the long run.

All that needs to happen is the WWE pulling the trigger finally and making the change. It won't be as huge as Hogan turning heel... there is nothing inside the ring that will be bigger than a Hogan heel turn which is what I'm thinking they are gunning for. But this would be big and would help freshen things quite a bit.