Cain Velasquez Back in The Gym, Still Limited

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
gyi0062131838.jpg
UFC Heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez spoke to HeavyMMA.com at a community outreach event on Wednesday, where he talked about his return to training and his upcoming marriage. The champ is a self-professed gym rat, and he seems very happy to finally get back to doing what he loves to do after seven months on the shelf with a shoulder injury. He's tentatively scheduled to defend his title against the winner of the UFC 131 Junior dos Santos vs. Shane Carwin fight, but here's his take on his current status in the gym:

"Yeah, I’m back in the gym. I’m limited in what I can do. I can’t punch with my right hand yet," Velasquez told HeavyMMA.com. "The doctor wants me to take two months to strengthen my right hand."

"I can run, I can do footwork. There’s a lot of stuff I can do. In those two months, I can get my body ready for one-hundred percent training."

Two months would put Velasquez back in the gym at 100% around mid-July. The expectation is that Velasquez will face the dos Santos/Carwin victor at UFC 136 in Houston on October 8th, but that certainly isn't set in stone. He does have one thing to look forward to in the near future though - his wedding is less than two weeks away:

"I’m excited. I think I found the perfect woman to build a great family. It’s going to be a happy day for us," Velasquez said.

After a short honeymoon, Velasquez will return to the gym and eventually work his way back to fighting shape for his next battle in the cage.