Bret Hart as WWF World Champion and maineventer.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I can remember it very vividly, an October night round my next door neighbours house (where I watched all my WWF at the time), and an episode of Superstars opening with Mean Gene and a interview segment. He opened with the line "Ladies and gentleman I give to you your new World Wrestling Foundation Heavyweight Champion" Now at this stage I was a bit confused, as the last title change I knew of Ric Flair winning it back from The Macho Man, so at first I thought Oakland was going to bring the nature boy out, so I got a real suprise when The Hitman's music hit, and "Bret the Hitman Hart!"

With the title change having happened on a houseshow in Saskatoon, Saskatchwan on October 12th 1992 I had no idea. But being a big Hart fan who was heartbroken when he lost the Intercontintel title to the British Bulldog at Summerslam, I was really thrilled, but also totally amazed that he was the WWF Champion.

Really his raise to the top happened very quickly, but IMO was justified. It was a bold decission from Mcmahon and WWF at the time, and one which paid off. Even if the numbers didn't always support it, the fact is wrestling as a whole was in a bit of a recission in the early-mid 90's. And I think Bret Hart who is one of my all time favoruite wrestlers did an excellent chance of carriring the company for long spells. Having world class matches, and maybe more importantly putting lesser talents over with ease. Also while he was never the star of someone like Hulk Hogan or Stone Cold, the Hittman had a special connection with the fans, and they believed in him on an every day human level.

During his first world title reign he carried a then green Shawn Michaels to a superb match, with great heat at Survivorseries 92, and produced a very sound effect with Razor Roman two months later at the Royal Rumble. It might have seen an ant-climax than he would lose the title to fast raising monster Yokozuna at Wrestlemania IX, but it was once again the excellence of excellcution that WWF turned to when Zuna bombed, and the greedy Hogan didn't stay around for long.

In the meantime Bret was given top billing at the first King of the Ring to be staged on Pay Per View in June 93. Once again showing his versituity Hart went through three of WWF's finest(Ramon, Mr Perfect and Bam Bam Bigelow) in three very gruilling, but different matches, all in one night to be crowned king. And who can forget the post-final angle with Jerry Lawler, which so beautifully set up his feud, and maybe the feud of that year.

Taken in four more WWF Title reigns from 94-97, and classic feuds and matches with the likes of Owen Hart, Diesel, Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Undertaker. And he even made a convincing heel in the compelling USA VS. Canada riverely. This is how I choose to remember him, and not his disater run in WCW. This was one of my favouite times ever as a wrestling fan.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
Hart was the WWE for a few years and had some absolutely fantastic matches. He continued with some solid matches in WCW even though he was handled awfully. In my way of reviews because I like to do such things here are my greatest Hart Matches.

7's Royal Rumble 1993 vs Razor Ramon, Wrestlemania X vs Yokozuna, In Your House 3 vs Jean Pierre Lafitte, Royal Rumble 1996 vs Undertaker, Ground Zero: In Your House vs Patriot, Survivor Series 1997 vs Shawn Michaels (Let's face it the match was decent).

8's King of The Ring 1993 vs Razor Ramon, Souled Out 1998 vs Ric Flair, Bash at The Beach 1998 vs Booker T, UK Rampage 1992 vs Rick Martel, King of The Ring 1994 vs Diesel, Survivor Series 1994 vs Bob Backlund Submission Match, Royal Rumble 1995 vs Diesel, Survivor Series 1995 vs Diesel, In Your House 13 vs Steve Austin, Vader, Undertaker Four Corners Elimination Match

9's King of The Ring 1993 vs Mr. Perfect, Mayhem 1999 vs Chris Benoit, Wrestlemania IX vs Yokozuna (This was a good match), In Your House 5 vs British Bulldog, In Your House 6 vs Diesel Cage Match, In Your House 14 vs Steve Austin

10's Nitro vs Chris Benoit Owen Hart Tribute Match, Summerslam 1991 vs Mr. Perfect, Wrestlemania VIII vs Roddy Piper, Summerslam 1992 vs British Bulldog, Survivor Series 1992 vs Shawn Michaels, Wrestlemania X vs Owen Hart, Summerslam 1994 vs Owen Hart Cage Match, Wrestlemania XII vs Bret Hart Ironman Match, Survivor Series 1996 vs Steve Austin, Wrestlemania 13 vs Steve Austin Submission Match, Summerslam 1997 vs Undertaker

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Actually the match with Jean-Pierre Lefant is quite underrated. Can't agree on the Yokozuna matches, they were avenge at best, but hey that is just because Zuna was just so slow and clamsy, it was near impossible for anyone to get a good match out of him.

Yeah his WCW run had its moments, and I certainly don't blame him, it was just piss poor booking of a guy who still had so much to offer, and could have been so huge there, but in the end he just got lost in the NWO suffle.

I have never seen the title win over Benoit, but I actually heard that because of the over booking of Russio the match was a bit of a mess, and not the best way for Bret to win his first WCW World Title. His matches with DDP were also very good I remember.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
The Mayhem match was way overbooked but the actual wrestling in it was phenomenal. His matches with Page were pretty solid but far from classics. I always liked DDP, a lot and have a ton of respect for him, but he wasn't that great in the ring. I rated the Yoko matches so high mostly because Bret got as much out of Yoko as possible.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Of topic a little, but I think DDP was very good in the ring between 96-2000. And still not bad in TNA and WWE either.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I loved DDP! Absolutely my favorite guy WCW made. The attitude and the diamond cutter, smoking cigars and acting like an asshole. He was great, WCW's first tweener and people's champion. Gotta admire someone who got into wrestling at an advanced age and get over major. And become a draw, pretty remarkable for someone who started off as a manager.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
Like I said I loved Page and even bought his shirt at a WCW live event when I was like 14. He did have a great feud with Savage but in general his matches weren't that great. His character was phenomenal though.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Don't agree I think he had some very good matches with the likes of Raven and Chris Benoit.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
DDP's fued with Macho Man was voted fued of the year by PWI. But I think DDP was no slouch in the ring. I remember matches with Eddie Guerrero that were fantastic.

But Bret Hart is one of the greatest WWE champions ever. And I'm not just saying that as a biased Canadian, I think Bret Hart was the greatest champion the WWE ever had.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
You will get no argments from me, he is one of the all time greats.

On the DDP thing I loved the feud with Savenge, but I remember the match at Spring Stampede where Page beat him as being a little sloppy. I think they met again at Great American Bash that year, but I didn't see that one.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
You will get no argments from me, he is one of the all time greats.

On the DDP thing I loved the feud with Savenge, but I remember the match at Spring Stampede where Page beat him as being a little sloppy. I think they met again at Great American Bash that year, but I didn't see that one.

Think it had to do more with the overbooking NWO matches had. Plus the fact that this is when Savage's body started breaking down.

Think my absolute favorite Bret Hart match was the one with Kevin Nash, I liked the way he tied Nash to the corner and worked his knee. Plus it was the first time i ever seen someone go through a table.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
A favorite of mine was his match with Ric Flair not long after he arrived in WCW. The promo leading up to it was great, the way they turned two legends praising each other, into two legends trying to up stage the other to the two almost going at it was really cleaver. The whole thing was based on respect, pride and a little bit of ego, which is all you really need in wrestling. The match itself was a cracker and should have been the main event at Sold Out 98, it was possible Flair's last great match, also one of Hart's. WCW should have made more of the feud through.

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
Bret Hart vs Diesel at Royal Rumble 1992, I THINK! Is the most epic Bret Hart match I've seen without his brother besides him, they was truly fantastic matches.

But I do find Bret Hart one of the most overrated wrestlers I've seen if I'm really honest it about it.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
The match with Diesel was actually at the 95 Rumble, and I agree it was excellent. But why do you find him so overrated.

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
I always found him to be quite boring even for a technical wrestler, his matches never got me rallied me up like Nigel McGuinness, Bryan Danielson, Chris Benoit, Kurt Angle can do with the exact same style, I just think Bret Hart doesn't have an edge, it's quite lacklustre...