Billy Corgan joins TNA Creative

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
Smashing Pumpkins lead singer Billy Corgan has signed on with TNA and will be working for the company in their creative end, according to Variety.
Corgan, who at one point was the lead creative for Chicago-area independent Resistance Pro, will have the title of "Senior Producer of Creative and Talent development."

PWInsider.com broke the news that Corgan was in Nashville, TN for meetings at the TNA offices several weeks back.

Corgan has long flirted with professional wrestling, dating back to appearances in the original Extreme Championship Wrestling, which later led to Paul Heyman offering to sell Corgan a piece of the company. Corgan had been very involved in Resistance Pro until leaving last year. At one point, a reality series about Corgan working in pro wrestling with Resistance had been set for cable network AMC until AMC shut down it's reality division.

“There is a tremendous opportunity to go into really fresh, new directions,â€￾ Corgan told Variety “There are ways to explore those themes in ways that are productive, create new stars and show that value-based ‘babyfaces’, no matter what their background, no matter where they come from, can draw new audiences and inspire people in new ways."

In the Variety article, TNA President Dixie Carter noted, the company needs to have "a greater depth" to their existing characters. "We want the stories to have a depth and a meaning to someone that is relevant today. Billy can really help that."
PWInsider

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Translation - My band is so irrelevant I thought I'd give this 'rassalin thing a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
Interestingly enough I read an article in GQ magazine a year or two ago about Billy Corgan becoming a pro wrestling writer. I didn't read too far into it because the subject didn't interest me all that much, but it's cool to hear that he landed up in what I guess must be the second biggest wrestling promotion in the world. The weirdest thing is, I don't know how Billy Corgan or pro wrestling ties into anything to do with GQ, but I've been a fan of the smashing pumpkins for a while and I can't remember Billy Corgan causing any controversial upstir that would deter me from liking him or his band.

Good for him.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Normally I would laugh but anything is worth a try at this point. so fuck it.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Tbf, he's not wrong. Basically anything TNA does these days is automatically laughable.

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
Keeping in mind that I don't follow TNA (or anything to do with pro wrestling nowadays) I know that they made a horrible move in booking Tito Ortiz and Rampage in an on screen rivalry. How offensive, any MMA fan knows that Tito and Rampage trained together and Rampage didn't want to come to the UFC while he was in Pride in the event that he would face Tito. Mind you, eventually Rampage did come after Tito lost to Chuck Liddell twice, but even reading about that on bloody elbow made me realize just why I don't watch it anymore.

Back on topic, I heard in a Joe Rogan podcast that they lost their TV deal so I guess it must be pretty bad eh? I'm not expert on pro wrestling nor do I know what Billy Corgan can bring to the table, but I think it's pretty cool that he's expanding his name into that field... regardless of how I feel about it. As to his skill level to do so, well.. I could really care less.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
I have no idea what this guy knows about wrestling but I am willing to give him a go. It might be terrible or it might be amazing, it's worth a go at this point.

Austin Bates

Reaction score
Keeping in mind that I don't follow TNA (or anything to do with pro wrestling nowadays) I know that they made a horrible move in booking Tito Ortiz and Rampage in an on screen rivalry. How offensive, any MMA fan knows that Tito and Rampage trained together and Rampage didn't want to come to the UFC while he was in Pride in the event that he would face Tito. Mind you, eventually Rampage did come after Tito lost to Chuck Liddell twice, but even reading about that on bloody elbow made me realize just why I don't watch it anymore.

Back on topic, I heard in a Joe Rogan podcast that they lost their TV deal so I guess it must be pretty bad eh? I'm not expert on pro wrestling nor do I know what Billy Corgan can bring to the table, but I think it's pretty cool that he's expanding his name into that field... regardless of how I feel about it. As to his skill level to do so, well.. I could really care less.

I didn't know that about Tito and Rampage. Pretty cool info. Thanks for posting it Stuntman.

I hear Corgan may have booked Resistance Pro Wrestling. Haven't seen it, can't judge. Wait and see is what I'll have to do on this.

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
I didn't know that about Tito and Rampage. Pretty cool info. Thanks for posting it Stuntman.

I hear Corgan may have booked Resistance Pro Wrestling. Haven't seen it, can't judge. Wait and see is what I'll have to do on this.

[MENTION=835]Austerio[/MENTION] for future reference if you have any questions MMA related I have a whole thread dedicated to answering your questions here.
http://wrestlingpunks.com/threads/8978-MMA-for-newbies-Ask-Alex/page3

As for Billy Corgan, according to my article he was actually the head of Resistance Pro Wrestling and even managed to snag a commercial deal using it. Guy certainly knows how to be a local mogul I'll say that.