Big TNA change in January

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
The word coming out of TNA is that when Impact resumes in January, Mike Tenay will be replaced by Josh Matthews as the primary play-by-play announcer. That is a move that was expected when the new TV deal was signed as Tenay lives in Las Vegas, NV and is a fly-in almost everywhere (not to mention more expensive) while Matthews is now working at the TNA offices in Nashville. With the new TV deal TNA will have less money to work with, at least in the beginning, so cost cutting is to be expected.

From what I have heard, Tenay will remain involved with the company in a different role.
PWInsider

I was always a big Josh Matthews fan so this is great news for me, I just hope Tazz gets replaced too.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
thank christ, Tenay has been awful for years.

Not sure Matthews as a replace will get the "WWE-lite" stink off them though.

TBD-67

Reaction score
i hate to say it, TNA's major malfunction is the booking. John Garurick? Bruce Prichard? Does Dixie really think VKM would have let them go if theyt had anything left to offer?

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
I don't have Destination America so I can't really see what changes they make other than seeing what I can find on a stream.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Matthews is the catalyst to pop that 0.6 rating that TNA are hoping will shoot them into the stratosphere!

Sabretooth

Reaction score
It's adorable how TNA thinks switching to a less watched network is gonna help

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
It's adorable how TNA thinks switching to a less watched network is gonna help
Considering Spike were dropping them what were they supposed to do?

It was either find a lower watched TV network and don't find what at all. As well, there is no point of TNA thinking that they can't improve, that doesn't help anything. I think it's fantastic that they are trying hard to change and improve things. They have to stay positive.

I personally hope they prove everyone wrong and this is the catalyst for change. TNA improving would be better for wrestling fans as a whole.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Idk it's been 12 years. What else can they do? Hulk hogan and sting couldn't help. They lost a lot of their top stars. Their fan base is dwindling. You see that spike fucking dropped them. It's looking grim

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Yeah, I mean, I hate to be a pessimist but there really isn't a whole hell of a lot to be positive about right now. I guess you could say that at least 52 million people have access to their new home at Destination America, but honestly, almost 100 million had access to Spike and their numbers were shit. Losing half of your eyes sure isn't going to help.

Also, if you honestly believe or hope that TNA will "prove people wrong", then you clearly haven't been following them since their inception. If you had been, you'd realize that's the pipe dream of all pipe dreams and should save yourself the disappointment when they fail again.

Actually, scratch that, they can't fail again because they've never been a success.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Josh Matthews joins TNA broadcast team

TNA Wrestling has officially announced today that Josh Mathews will join with Taz for Impact Wrestling’s new announce team in 2015. Mathews will be providing play-by-play, and Taz will provide color commentary for Impact Wrestling starting on January 7 when Impact Wrestling debuts on Destination America.

Speaking on the announcement, TNA Executive VP of TV John Gaburick stated: “Josh Mathews is a dynamic talent who brings great energy and experience to commentating. I’ve had the pleasure to work with Josh for many years and know he, alongside Taz, will captivate fans and enhance the viewing experience.â€

Taz added on the news: “I was amped up when I heard the news Mathews would be joining me to announce IMPACT WRESTLING on Destination America. Our goal is to be the best announce team in wrestling today, combining Mathews’ work ethic and experience with mine alongside the best roster in wrestling. I am looking forward to sitting next to my friend and new announce partner on January 7 in New York City.â€

Matthews stated: “I’m elated to join TNA and be the new voice of IMPACT WRESTLING alongside my friend and three-time World Champion Taz. I’d like to thank Dixie Carter and John Gaburick for this incredible opportunity. Mike Tenay is a legend in this business and I am humbled to build on the body of work he has established over the past 12 years on IMPACT. To have my voice attached to the amazing athletes who do what they do better than anyone in the world is a dream come true.â€

Here is the full press release:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (December 18, 2014) – TNA, today, announced seasoned broadcaster Josh Mathews will join Taz to form the new IMPACT WRESTLING announce team. With Mathews doing play-by-play and Taz color-commentary, the new IMPACT WRESTLING announce team will debut during the LIVE broadcast of IMPACT WRESTLING on Destination America from New York City on Wednesday, January 7 at 9/8c.

“Josh Mathews is a dynamic talent who brings great energy and experience to commentating,†said John Gaburick, TNA’s Executive Vice President of Television. “I’ve had the pleasure to work with Josh for many years and know he, alongside Taz, will captivate fans and enhance the viewing experience.â€

Raised in Indiana, Mathews moved to New York as a teenager to pursue his professional wrestling career and quickly established himself as a leading voice in sports entertainment and professional wrestling.

“I was amped up when I heard the news Mathews would be joining me to announce IMPACT WRESTLING on Destination America,†said Taz. “Our goal is to be the best announce team in wrestling today, combining Mathews’ work ethic and experience with mine alongside the best roster in wrestling. I am looking forward to sitting next to my friend and new announce partner on January 7 in New York City.â€

“I’m elated to join TNA and be the new voice of IMPACT WRESTLING alongside my friend and three-time World Champion Taz,†said Mathews. “I’d like to thank Dixie Carter and John Gaburick for this incredible opportunity. Mike Tenay is a legend in this business and I am humbled to build on the body of work he has established over the past 12 years on IMPACT. To have my voice attached to the amazing athletes who do what they do better than anyone in the world is a dream come true.â€

IMPACT WRESTLING debuts on Destination America with a special LIVE broadcast on Wednesday, January 7 from 9-11 PM ET, televised from New York City’s legendary Manhattan Center. IMPACT WRESTLING will move to its permanent time slot on Fridays from 9-11 PM ET beginning January 16 on Destination America. And, IMPACT WRESTLING: UNLOCKED with Mike Tenay premieres in its permanent time slot on Saturdays from 10 AM-Noon ET beginning January 17.

Good for josh. You guys think he'll do better than mike tenay?

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
ZOMG~!