Best and Worst WrestleMania

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Since wrestlemania XXVIII is drawing closer and closer I created this thread. What do you think was the best wrestlemania and why and what do you think was the worst wrestlemania and why.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Best: 17, c'mon it's an obvious pick but it's the right one. Great card top to bottom, everyone brought it that night. When Eddie Guerrero is in one of the worst matches of the night, that's saying something about the quality of it.

Worst: 25. WWE seemed to have a mental breakdown booking this show. HHH/Orton died a death and should have been booked as a NHB match, Cena/Show/Edge was good but not WM main event worthy. The rest of the show was fine, but when your two main events suck it brings the whole card down with it.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
The worst WrestleMania, I believe beyond a shadow of doubt, was WrestleMania X. I'm one of the rare people who actually loved WWF from 1993-1996, but this was just senseless, atrocious booking, especially for a WrestleMania, and it's tenth anniversary for that matter.

First of all, Bret Hart in two matches? Why? Why even make it so that Bret has to face Owen on the top of the card? They could have had him face Yokozuna in the main event, get Owen to attack him post-match and then give them their match at King of the Ring. But thanks to the shitty idea to have both Hart and Luger win the Rumble, Yoko and Bret both wrestled two matches on the card.

Then the God awful matches that were Savage vs. Crush, M.O.M. vs. The Quebecers, Earthquake vs. Adam Bomb, and Bam Bam & Luna vs. Doink & Dink. First and foremost, Savage had no business watering himself down to face some random mid-card performer in the form of Crush, a match with little inspiration and pay-off for Savage. Had Crush won, things would have been much different for him, but that wasn't the case. Then waste Bam Bam's ability on this equally meaningless match, and you've put two potential main eventers to waste. They could have gone with Bam Bam vs. Macho Man if they wanted at least one more good match on this card, worth paying to see.

Earthquake vs. Adam sounds like a good idea for a big man match on the surface, but those plans went south. Plus you got two superheavyweight brawlers versus two small technicians in another waste of card space.

I'll admit that Blayze vs. Kai for the women's title was a pretty good female match, one of the only good women's match ever on WrestleMania, and of course you had the legendary Razor vs. Michaels ladder match, so those two provided some goodness in the midst of mediocrity.

As for the best, I'll agree with WrestleMania X-Seven. Rock vs. Austin swerve was magnificent, Taker vs. Trips is a showstealer, we got TLC II, Kurt vs. Benoit was as good as advertised, and how can you hate Jericho vs. Regal? It was no show stealer, but you can't say it was bad by any stretch.

Mitch Buchannon

Free Palestine
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
kyleoreilly
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
kassiusohno
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
u6DnU5I
Worst: Has to be Wrestlemania IX, just horrible. It was actually the first one I ever saw and as a kid I thought it was awesome. Like seriously two matches that easily could have been instant classics were Hart/Yoko and Luger/Perfect and they were 8:55 and 10:56. Yes, because apparently Tatanka beating HBK in 18:13 by countout makes more sense.

Best: For me it was Wrestlemania XIX. Who can go wrong with instant classics like HBK/Y2J, Rock/Austin III, and Lesnar/Angle? Plus we got to see some solid matches like HHH/Booker, Hogan/McMahon, and the triple threat tag even though the tag team match should have gone longer considering who was in it.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
The best wrestlemania was Wrestlemania XX. There was not a boring match on the card.

John Cena vs The Big Show. It was the match that launched Cena's career. It gave him his first title in wwe and at wrestlemania no less. Obviously we know where Cena went from there.

Rob Van Dam and Booker T vs La Resistance vs The Dudley Boyz vs Garrison Cade and Mark Jindrak. It showed good tag team action and helped showcase wwe's tag team division

Christian vs Chris Jericho. This match was awesome. It went 15 minutes with great wrestling from both men. The end was a bit annoying but it continued the storyline well.

Evolution beat the rock n' sock connection. This match helped put over Randy orton and Batista huge by getting a win over two iconic superstars at wrestlemania. Ric flair was also in the match but he doesn't need to get over. The match saw some great comedic spots with good wrestling. Randy got over huge when he beat Mick foley. And it just so happens that was the rocks last match.

Torrid Wilson and Sable vs Stacy Kiebler and Miss Jackie. Well the match sucked but four women in bikinis :drool:

Chavo Guerrero vs Rey Mysterio vs Ultimo Dragon vs Jamie Noble vs Funaki vs Shannon Moore vs Tajiri vs Billy Kidman vs Nunzio and Akio for the cruiserweight championship. It showcased great cruiserweight action. Each set of opponents besides Funaki got at least two minutes to show some great moves. And it set up a rivalry between chavo and Rey.

Goldberg vs Brock Lesnar with stone cold as the special referee. Ok so this match saw the end of both men's careers. But the match wasnt bad. After they stared at each other for a long time once the match got going it was good. But after the match stone cold sent Goldberg and Brock out of wwe with a stunner with was a good moment.

Too cool defeated the worlds greatest tag team, The Basham Brothers, and The APA. like the other tag match it showcased the tag team division and had good action. It showed how much faith wwe had in their tag division.

Victoria vs Molly Holly in a title vs hair match. This match ok but it got both women a chance to compete at wrestlemania and the ending was hilarious.

Eddie Guerrero vs Kurt Angle for the wwe championship. Kurt vs Eddie- 'Nuff said

The Undertaker vs Kane. The match wasn't great but it wasn't bad and it brought taker back in his deadman persona and helped legitimatize him again.

Chris Benoit vs Shawn Michaels vs Triple H for the world heavyweight championship. This match was so fucking good. Each man out on a showcase. They all played off each other so well. They each knew what to do with each other. I've never seen a more perfect triple threat match. Then Benoit won which was a great moment. Then when Eddie and Chris stood in the ring with both of the major titles crying and hugging. That was an iconic moment and a great way to close wrestlemania.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
@ EC - I liked Savage/Crush for what it was and Bret/Owen is the best opener in WM history. Add Michaels/Ramon's ladder match and the show was passable though I agree the entire booking leading into it was absolutely horrid.

Worst WM for me personally was 2. Sorry, but the concept of having the show at three separate venues was completely inane, there was really only one good match on the card (Junkyard Dog and Tito Santana vs. The Funks) and the commentary teams were hideous. I fail to see how anyone couldn't consider it the worst of them all by far. The only saving grace it has is that the concept was still new so they were working out the kinks, but man there were a lot of them.

Best for me personally (not based on match quality, workrate, booking) is a tie between WM 6 and WM 18 because I was at both of them. Obviously once you attend one your opinion on those shows is going to be skewed. There's no way I couldn't consider the two I attended to be the best just based on the experiences I had.

Non-objectively I'd say X-7 was the best.

Reaction score
Then the God awful matches that were Savage vs. Crush, First and foremost, Savage had no business watering himself down to face some random mid-card performer in the form of Crush, a match with little inspiration and pay-off for Savage. Had Crush won, things would have been much different for him, but that wasn't the case.

I'm not a fan of the match, but Crush/Savage had one of the longer build-ups for that show. There was something like a six month build-up with Crush turning heel in the first place against Savage. Thanks to Crush's reasoning for turning on Savage, the feud could be traced back three months sooner, making it a nine month build. The actual angle was pretty great and as limited as Crush was, he was a pretty over talent as Kona Crush and it was Savage's last truly meaningful feud in the WWE.

The fact that Savage was kept off of WM 9 makes Savage wrestling Crush a year later even better.

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Best: XVII. Austin/Rock, TLC II, Benoit/Angle,....OH MY.

Worst: IX: I can't think of a single good thing about the PPV.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
I know everyone thinks either 17 or 19 but guys 20 didn't have a 12 matches and all of them were at least 6/10 except the evening gown match but divas in evening gowns...

Death Dealer

Feel the Heat
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
20 was great but Brock/Goldberg sucked and the Tag matches weren'
t anything special. Still the final shot od Eddie and Benoit is one of my all time favorite moments even with what happened with Benoit.

Reaction score
Worst: IX: I can't think of a single good thing about the PPV.

Headshrinkers vs Steiners was good. It wasn't anything amazing, but still a solid addition to any undercard. Yoko vs Bret was good up until the bad booking.

I know everyone thinks either 17 or 19 but guys 20 didn't have a 12 matches and all of them were at least 6/10 except the evening gown match but divas in evening gowns...

I'd disagree. Kane vs Taker was pretty horrid outside of seeing the Deadman again with Paul Bearer. The Raw 4 way tag match was a joke. The CW open was a waste of time instead of just letting us see Chavo vs Rey again in a normal match. Brock vs Lesnar was pretty bad. Obviously the evening gown match sucked. Meanwhile, Show vs Cena was passable at best.

WM 20 is such a mix bag. There's several great matches, a couple of decent ones and then a lot of crap.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Most of the matches were good. Only the evening gown match and Kane/taker was bad. But undertaker was so awesome back then that it didn't matter. Jericho/Christian Benoit/michaels/hunter and Guerrero/Angle were amazing. Brock vs Goldberg was pretty good. The tag matches were ok for they were worth. The cruiserweight open showcased a lot of talent.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
The problem with 20 is they did what TNA used to do a lot as well, which is try to cram as many people onto their big show as possible. There was no reason for 2 four way tag matches or the cruiserweight open other than to shoehorn people in.

Also, I'm in the minority who thinks Angle/Guerrero is dull as hell.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Also, I'm in the minority who thinks Angle/Guerrero is dull as hell.

I wouldn't say it was dull, but I also wouldn't say it was amazing. I feel its been heavily overrated by a lot of people, but I did appreciate the story they tried to tell.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
VIVA LA RAZA... I lie I cheat I steal