Alberto del Rio Released

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Nate

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
homicide
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
It's possible that it's a work, pretty much on the points that Deezy brought up.

If it's legit though then it's possible the 'Social Media' guy that Del Rio slapped actually runs the twitter account, and is openly tweeting about the situation as a giant 'fuck you' to Del Rio. The only reason why I'm not 100% convinced that this isn't a work is because there were other reports of Del Rio slapping The Miz and Kevin Dunn, which sounds to me like something actually happened backstage.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
It's possible that it's a work, pretty much on the points that Deezy brought up.

If it's legit though then it's possible the 'Social Media' guy that Del Rio slapped actually runs the twitter account, and is openly tweeting about the situation as a giant 'fuck you' to Del Rio. The only reason why I'm not 100% convinced that this isn't a work is because there were other reports of Del Rio slapping The Miz and Kevin Dunn, which sounds to me like something actually happened backstage.

Could just be dirt sheets running with shit before they actually know anything. All it takes is one Miz report and one Dunn report and they're on every wrestling website in the world.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
If this is a work then it could be just the fresh direction than Del Rio needs.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I would love for a gimmick where Del Rio just slaps the fuck out of non-wrestlers.

Reactions: Pepe the Cholo

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
On a serious note though, he may not have been the most popular guy, but he did consistently put on some real good matches. I won't miss him and him being gone won't hurt anything, but he was still a great in-ring performer even if I wasn't a big fan. Had a nice career on paper too if you look at it for what that's worth.
7utvwqf.gif

wsCCwar.gif

2P7i8Vh.gif

Those good matches?

Reactions: Twitchy

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
he new gimmick should include him just coming out slapping a guy the leaving as his way of challenging them to a duel, no words.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
7utvwqf.gif

wsCCwar.gif

2P7i8Vh.gif

Those good matches?

Other than the Cara one yeah. I don't really see what you're going for here, and the middle one wasn't even any sort of botch, Bryan just dodged the kick.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Other than the Cara one yeah. I don't really see what you're going for here, and the middle one wasn't even any sort of botch, Bryan just dodged the kick.
Guessing it was because he was nowhere near Bryan when he bumped.

Isn't it funny how people were saying Del Rio sucks, waste of roster space, dull, boring and when he gets fired......it's a shame? Only time this guy has had any buzz since his vignettes.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Isn't it funny how people were saying Del Rio sucks, waste of roster space, dull, boring and when he gets fired......it's a shame? Only time this guy has had any buzz since his vignettes.

That always happens, though I have seen less of it this time because Del Rio was just that hated. I'm not defending the guy and I won't miss him at all but it's not like he was all around terrible. He consistently had good matches, and 3 gifs of him botching don't change that. Overall there were more negatives, his title reigns all sucked and I hated his face run, but he was never a bad wrestler, just a boring one and not worth his spot and the money he was getting (I assume it was probably a decent amount with how he was built from the start). He's replaceable for sure, but wasn't terrible. There can't be a middle ground on the Internet?

Pepe the Cholo

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
pac
Favorite Wrestler
claudiocastagnoli
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio
Favorite Wrestler
kassiusohno
Damas y caballeros! Aquies mi gran honor de presentar la esencia de excelencia, el campeon mundial de pesocompleto del WWE y el orgullo de la gente de Mexico... El es..

Albertoooooooooooooooooooooooooo...... RELEASOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Last edited:

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2

Well especially on the turnbuckle coming down he's not even faking a move. He's done it quite a bit, but I never enjoyed Del Rio not even vignettes.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I wouldn't blame Del Rio for the horrible bookin' of title reigns especially his WWE title reigns on Raw. I mean for fuck sake he won his FIRST world title and the next night he's in the ring complainin' about his "work environment" instead of throwin' a traditional fiesta like he would have on SmackDown!. If anything fucked over Del Rio's "overness" it was this garbage Raw run that could have easily been 10 times better. At least I can proudly say he beat Cena and Punk in is first Hell in a Cell match durin' that time.

And I ain't ever flip flopped on Del Rio like some of these neanderthals, I've been markin' for the dude since his first vignette.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
Apparently Del Rio is going to appear at AAA TripleMania.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
That always happens, though I have seen less of it this time because Del Rio was just that hated. I'm not defending the guy and I won't miss him at all but it's not like he was all around terrible. He consistently had good matches, and 3 gifs of him botching don't change that. Overall there were more negatives, his title reigns all sucked and I hated his face run, but he was never a bad wrestler, just a boring one and not worth his spot and the money he was getting (I assume it was probably a decent amount with how he was built from the start). He's replaceable for sure, but wasn't terrible. There can't be a middle ground on the Internet?

This really. Del Rio was with WWE about four years, and considering how many matches wrestlers have nowadays you will always be able to find a few botches along the way. Not saying he was one of my favourites, but he was always pretty solid.

Reaction score
Firing a guy that just got assaulted on the job might open them up to lawsuits. I assume their backstage people, the office types like the social media and website people are employees rather than independent contractors. The WWE may not have seen the comment as racist. It may not even matter if wrestlers don't get the same protections from discrimination anyhow. But office employees do have a reasonable expectation to not be hit at work, no matter how big a prick they may be. In this situation, this might keep the guy placated whereas firing him could have lead to some sort of civil suit.

I'm not sure about a work. But in my mind, their using his stage name is because the social media guys are just used to using stage names and don't think beyond that. There's also a good chance that the WWE isn't done with ADR. They have to show do something to demonstrate they won't have people hitting those who aren't talent. It wouldn't surprise me to see him back in a year, if not sooner, if ADR doesn't get a better contract abroad.

Personally, I liked the guy as a performer. Not my favorite, but there were things about the gimmick that I found fun. He wouldn't be my pick as the top guy, but certainly dependable enough and could get over enough to get a couple runs. I saw him as a solid hand that you could throw into feuds or matches like Elimination Chamber, Fatal Four Ways, etc as a means of having someone dependable to fill out the card.