ACW Rules Regulations Ideas and Suggestions

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Pete

Reaction score
Dude. If I put out a Lord Vycious RP where he acts like a bro and talks like a redneck, would you NOT know what to tell me regardless of rating system?!

All it takes is to know the characters a bit to be able to tell people where they're going wrong. Other than that...personal preference based on experience.

Andy

Reaction score
Dude. If I put out a Lord Vycious RP where he acts like a bro and talks like a redneck, would you NOT know what to tell me regardless of rating system?!

All it takes is to know the characters a bit to be able to tell people where they're going wrong. Other than that...personal preference based on experience.

Not really. Even if I knew your character, I'm not inside of your head. I don't know whether or not that's where you want to go with him. Yeah, personal preference. LOL. And what if that personal preference is taken to heart and becomes the reason why said roleplayer loses the next week? Exactly.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Yeah, that was what I was implying^

However, that's also where it gets fuzzy. By not having a general publicized grading system, or at least keeping it under wraps, only the staff know why a roleplayer lost. And you've stated that you will only tell them if they PM you. Then how does another person tell them how to improve? You can't really make suggestions if you don't know what the problem was. The only real suggestions you could make involve storyline/angle.

A grading system is flawed and can be too easily manipulated to the point that creativity is sacrificed to simply meet the criteria that is being graded on which makes for monotonous and similar RPs all around which becomes a snore.

And as far as why they lost... we tell them. That's all there is to that. If someone wants to offer them suggestions and feedback... then they do. We're not just here to say... aight this is what you do to ensure that you win each and every single time you have a match. Because if that were the case then again everyone would wind up exactly the same. Everything would wind up reading the same. The only differences would be the length of the RPs since there would be "points" derived from how many words are used and that would be the only thing to determine who wins and loses and you know how freakin boring that would be?

Yeah I know it worked in PWA so no need to remind me but I'll remind you again... we are not in PWA. We have a working system... working perfectly and has not caused a single bit of a problem so again... why would you change tires on a car if the tires are flawless? That's just a waste.

But feedback is more about telling a person how to make their character more relevant to what they are attempting. It would be like having Jacqui walking out in a frilly girly dress and talking all prim and proper and being really bubbly and girly... your critique and feedback would then be to remove that from her, make her more tom boyish, make her tougher, remove the prim and proper, remove the bubbliness cause it isn't what her character is supposed to be about. Boom... done. You just want to implement a system easy to manipulate. But keeping things the way they are... you actually have to try to be creative.

And as far as losses go... none of them would be due to personal preference. If it is felt that a staff person cannot grade someone's work fairly... we'll pass it off to somebody else to keep everything fair. Which is why... I would not grade your work if that is a subtle jab you were getting at.

Andy

Reaction score
A grading system is flawed and can be too easily manipulated to the point that creativity is sacrificed to simply meet the criteria that is being graded on which makes for monotonous and similar RPs all around which becomes a snore.

And as far as why they lost... we tell them. That's all there is to that. If someone wants to offer them suggestions and feedback... then they do. We're not just here to say... aight this is what you do to ensure that you win each and every single time you have a match. Because if that were the case then again everyone would wind up exactly the same. Everything would wind up reading the same. The only differences would be the length of the RPs since there would be "points" derived from how many words are used and that would be the only thing to determine who wins and loses and you know how freakin boring that would be?

Yeah I know it worked in PWA so no need to remind me but I'll remind you again... we are not in PWA. We have a working system... working perfectly and has not caused a single bit of a problem so again... why would you change tires on a car if the tires are flawless? That's just a waste.

But feedback is more about telling a person how to make their character more relevant to what they are attempting. It would be like having Jacqui walking out in a frilly girly dress and talking all prim and proper and being really bubbly and girly... your critique and feedback would then be to remove that from her, make her more tom boyish, make her tougher, remove the prim and proper, remove the bubbliness cause it isn't what her character is supposed to be about. Boom... done. You just want to implement a system easy to manipulate. But keeping things the way they are... you actually have to try to be creative.

And as far as losses go... none of them would be due to personal preference. If it is felt that a staff person cannot grade someone's work fairly... we'll pass it off to somebody else to keep everything fair. Which is why... I would not grade your work if that is a subtle jab you were getting at.

You'd change those tires to make the car look better, regardless if they are flawless or not. Just like you would upgrade your phone, programs, apps, etc.

I'm not saying the loss would be YOUR personal preference. Did you not read what I said? Let's make an example out of this: Pete and I roleplay. We have no legitimate system. Pete has a different level of experience than I do. He critiques my roleplay just based on his experience, no real criteria. I take this criticism/suggestion to heart and roleplay differently the next time according to what he said and I end up losing. And then I lose again, even if it works for him, because I obviously can't write the same way he does. With some sort of set criteria, the goal of writing said roleplay becomes easier as it less based on opinion. However, the creativity remains the same throughout.

I get what you're saying with the Jacqui reference, but would that not make the feedback all opinion based? For example, if I have Sanders come out with a gun and start shooting holes into the ring and someone doesn't like that because they don't think it fits my character, is that no merely based on their POV? As opposed to what I was going for? That feedback really wouldn't help me that much.

But think about this. If it worked for us, with no problems, how is it easy to manipulate? None of our character were the same, nor were our roleplays.

Word count wouldn't solely determine the winner. And things wouldn't be boring. If anything, it would make things more fair.

Last edited:

Pete

Reaction score

Which was exactly what I meant with my Lord Vycious example, since he is the opposite of what I described. Andy (and anybody else) would immediately have told me to make him speak and act very properly and old-fashionedly, because that's who he is. It's not a question of POV. If you're building a character as a British upper-class gentleman and suddenly you turn him into JTG, ANYONE will call you out on it.

Although now I DO want Jacqui to do that, as irony. She would totally be one to do so...

Last edited:

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
If you have tires on there with about 1,000 miles of usage... why would you change them for new tires? That's wasteful right? We're a fed about to enter our second PPV ever... why would we change what is still working just fine? That's the tire analogy. You wouldn't change those tires and you wouldn't change a perfectly working system.

And the problem there is... if you are new and Pete is an established vet... you don't try to work towards his level cause he has obviously been doing this longer than you. You have to find your niche. Which is why a vet would not say... write like me and this is how you win. It would be ways to improve the little things whether it be grammar, spelling, more descriptions, more variety, more back story, elaborating more on different scenarios and the such. That is what a vet would suggest. And we stated before in another thread what we plan on looking for but we'll state it in an individual thread when we rewrite the rules and regulations so there is a guideline for what we are looking for so it isn't perceived that we're just going based off of opinion that oh we like him better so we're going for that but we're grading based on what we see and read. Does that mean you write based solely to what we are looking for? No. Its merely an outline that you have to flesh out.

And as far as your character coming out with a gun shooting... that's quite a bit over the top and more than likely wouldn't even be allowed to pass cause realistically... your character would probably be shot at by the cops once they arrive at the center since you are shooting in a public location. But the basis of the feedback/critique would stem from the character bio plus any Rps that someone can read. And that is why it would be seen that your character is not acting in character. Not just an opinionated POV. There is basis around the critique which is why if you were to critique you wouldn't blindly do it but instead would look to see what that character is said to be about before saying anything right?

And again... yeah it worked for you all... over in PWA... ONE FED. What we have here works too... why should we change what works for us. Like it would be stupid to try to change the point system there if it worked. Why is it that you can't accept that and keep pushing a public point system?

And what I'm saying about word count is if everyone follows this public point system requirement/criteria... then it will all come down to who writes the longer RP to determine the one or two points needed to sneak out the win as everything else would be equal. Which is why it isn't needed and can be flawed and manipulated.

Pete

Reaction score
EXAMPLE TIME!

My first real feud ever was with a guy who, at the time, was a bit ahead of me. As a result, I became a jobber to his star. EVERY week, And EVERY week I doggedly tried to beat him by writing as well as I possibly could. And I mean, I sweated to try and beat the guy - and I don't think I ever did. However, when I came out of that feud, I was twice the writer I had been, and from that point on I went from strenght to strenght until arriving where I am today. So in short, I owe being this good a writer to a guy not cutting me any slack.

So in short, THAT's how a vet helps a noob. Offer them a feud, don't shy away from BEATING them, but don't SQUASH them. Make them sweat, but at the same time stay within reach, so that he or she can feel there's a point to their efforts. At the end of the day, they will be a lot better, and you will have had a great feud, like we did.

Last edited:

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
EXAMPLE TIME!

My first real feud ever was with a guy who, at the time, was a bit ahead of me. As a result, I became a jobber to his star. EVERY week, And EVERY week I doggedly tried to beat him by writing as well as I possibly could. And I mean, I sweated to try and beat the guy - and I don't think I ever did. However, when I came out of that feud, I was twice the writer I had been, and from that point on I went from strenght to strenght until arriving where I am today. So in short, I owe being this good a writer to a guy not cutting me any slack.

So in short, THAT's how a vet helps a noob. Offer them a feud, don't shy away from BEATING them, but don't SQUASH them. Make them sweat, but at the same time stay within reach, so that he or she can feel there's a point to their efforts. At the end of the day, they will be a lot better, and you will have had a great feud, like we did.

I can say that I had that happen twice in my career where there was one guy that for the life of me I could not beat for years... I finally beat him... but as a result I became so much better as a result cause I would see where I could get better, I asked around what I could improve on, I even asked him and we became real cool cause of the feud. The other guy... well we feuded actually over two different feds before I finally beat him.

And then there were two guys that could never beat me... and mannnnnnn to see how they are now compared to how they were then... I'm scared to face them... one finally beat me. The other still hasn't and it's been 5 years running that we've been facing each other here and there. So losses can do a lot more good then wins. Look at MMA and Brock... he went blitz style his first two fights. First fight he won... second he lost. After that he changed his style and became a beast. Losses help if taken well.

BDC

Reaction score
Yeah, losses do not mean no progress.

Look at Daniel bryan. Lost twice to Sheamus, but is over with the crowd.
If you can lose and still grow as an rper, that's part of the system. Feuds are going to be a must in the future.

IF ANYBODY wants to plot a feud or angle, let management know.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Yeah, losses do not mean no progress.

Look at Daniel bryan. Lost twice to Sheamus, but is over with the crowd.
If you can lose and still grow as an rper, that's part of the system. Feuds are going to be a must in the future.

IF ANYBODY wants to plot a feud or angle, let management know.

YES! YES! YES! YES!

Oh and yes to feuds too :p

Andy

Reaction score
EXAMPLE TIME!

I'm not even talking about feuds. That's a decent way to go though.

If you have tires on there with about 1,000 miles of usage... why would you change them for new tires? That's wasteful right? We're a fed about to enter our second PPV ever... why would we change what is still working just fine? That's the tire analogy. You wouldn't change those tires and you wouldn't change a perfectly working system.

And the problem there is... if you are new and Pete is an established vet... you don't try to work towards his level cause he has obviously been doing this longer than you. You have to find your niche. Which is why a vet would not say... write like me and this is how you win. It would be ways to improve the little things whether it be grammar, spelling, more descriptions, more variety, more back story, elaborating more on different scenarios and the such. That is what a vet would suggest. And we stated before in another thread what we plan on looking for but we'll state it in an individual thread when we rewrite the rules and regulations so there is a guideline for what we are looking for so it isn't perceived that we're just going based off of opinion that oh we like him better so we're going for that but we're grading based on what we see and read. Does that mean you write based solely to what we are looking for? No. Its merely an outline that you have to flesh out.

But everyone has a different style and the vet would be communicating his style, wouldn't he? What if a roleplayer decided to use that style, but couldn't win with? I agree that you have to find your niche, but some newbies have a hard time doing that without looking to what others have done. Alright, that sounds fine. But I personally would prefer you tell me exactly why I lose, if I lose, based upon what you post in that seperate thread. And that's something I personally would like. Exactly. Finally, some criteria. That's exactly what I've been looking for. The only thing you're really doing differently than the PWA is excluding points. LOL.

And as far as your character coming out with a gun shooting... that's quite a bit over the top and more than likely wouldn't even be allowed to pass cause realistically... your character would probably be shot at by the cops once they arrive at the center since you are shooting in a public location. But the basis of the feedback/critique would stem from the character bio plus any Rps that someone can read. And that is why it would be seen that your character is not acting in character. Not just an opinionated POV. There is basis around the critique which is why if you were to critique you wouldn't blindly do it but instead would look to see what that character is said to be about before saying anything right?

This is professional wrestling. Literally speaking, anything is can be and sometimes is over the top, such as hitting someone with plank full of nails. That's assault with a deadly weapon. And if you want to go onto theatrics, how do we know the bullets in the gun aren't blank? And he's not threatening anyone either. lol. Character bio? Those things are horrible, so yeah, I definitely agree that we need to rework that. We should just go with locker room system. But yeah, the current bios really can't help with knowing what a person's character is like.

And again... yeah it worked for you all... over in PWA... ONE FED. What we have here works too... why should we change what works for us. Like it would be stupid to try to change the point system there if it worked. Why is it that you can't accept that and keep pushing a public point system?

Nah, it's worked out rather fine in every fed I've been in. Yeah, it's working decently right now, but for how long? Because it's not always bound to wrok when nothing's set in stone. I'm not even suggesting you take PWA's system. I'm just saying that you should have something formal and organized. And why can't you change it. Actually, we did change the point system even though it worked. :p

And what I'm saying about word count is if everyone follows this public point system requirement/criteria... then it will all come down to who writes the longer RP to determine the one or two points needed to sneak out the win as everything else would be equal. Which is why it isn't needed and can be flawed and manipulated.

Not really. I don't think you understand exactly what we worked with before. It has nothing to do with who wrote a longer roleplay. Just as long as someone wrote enough. And actually, this entire time I've been suggesting a minimum number of words and maximum, so they can't write too much to the point at which it become tedious. The minimum is to give people a better chance at winning as opposed to: spam vs. 4k. Anyway, this is what we used:

Word Count: 2/2 (As always, the word count. If a Roleplay is 250+ words it receives one point. If it is 500+ words, it receives two.
Quality: 10/10 (Grammar, neatness, etc.)
Creativity: 10/10 (Same old, same old.)
Relativity: 5/5 (Points are scored relative to the character's storyline and match-up, as well as concurrent events.)
Environment: 5/5 (How well the character interacts and describes the environment. Interviewers, fans, announcers, or anyone else besides your character count as environment.)
Character Development: 5/5 (How well you develop your character. The more we can tell about his personality from the RP, the higher it will be rated.)
Bonus: 0/2 (Bonuses are given at the grader's discretion.)

Total: 37/37

Chriss

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries2
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
4,000 word limit? Isnt that a lil bit too much? lol

Andy

Reaction score

-_________________________- do half of you actually read or what? I said that there should be a max and min, because a spam roleplay (around 200 words) could have better quality than a roleplay that has around 4000. If there is a set number of words for both the min and the max, it makes the roleplays all about the quality. Dur. 4000 would be ridiculous. lol.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2

My idea was to prevent someone from making some sort of insane rp for some of us 4000 is just two rps.

As far as Andy's Grading I hate the idea. I've hated the idea of grading in every fed I've ever been in. You know how well your doing by where your at on the card. I'm obviously at the top of the mid card lower uppercard because my guy is involved in the midcard title and the uppercard title.

Giving feedback helpful and necessary.

Strict grading scale not at all.

And as I said in the opening post most of the stuff doesn't need changed but ideas should be thrown out. Andy you seem to be the only one that likes that idea. If you want to try and use a real example though go back through on one of my RPs and use your grade system that way we can actually see it in use as opposed to theory.

The_King

Reaction score
I think word count is unnecessary. If a RP is too long or too short, then the quality will suffer, and the RPer will lose. Simple as that. Length only becomes issue when it affects quality.

I'm not really sure why you keep harping on the point system, Andy. The staff isn't comfortable with it, so it isn't going to be implemented, period. Continuing belaboring the point only makes those involved in the argument look whiny and selfish.

I'd be favor in a rule revamp just to clarify basic things and help out newcomers.

Finally, I'd really like the locker room/more detailed character bios, especially if the user has access/the ability to edit their own bio. It really helps character development and allows one to make sure the writers really convey their character.

That's just my two cents haha.

Last edited: